Hawk Attack!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tricorn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Tricorn

Tricorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Today was the first test as to whether or not the young girls and boys had accepted the big coop as home. Having been cooped up for three weeks they were more than happy to get out. After a nice quiet day of free ranging, 12 out of 16 were hanging out by the big coop at dusk. I dutifully grab my broom and got to shooing the other 4 out of the rafters of the barn. I was walking the 'lost ones' back up the hill when I see my little Hamburg Silver engrossed in the task of obliterating and ant mound. As I call to her to come along I hear one of the roosters from the coop give a god-awful scream. I look up- not 50 feet away a GINORMUS HAWK comes lunging out of the trees. He has to pass over the coop to make his attack, so every single chicken in the vicinity is running towards me for the cover of the brush along the fence line. I knew he was going for Silver, had that sinking feeling in my stomach. I could have sworn she was a goner. But that crafty old hen is our only white chicken for a reason. That red tail hit the dirt hard and she was already 50 feet away. He was up and heading for cover before I could get to him though.

After catching my breath I looked around to see where everyone had gone. Not a chicken in sight. Three long weeks of everyone shut up in the coop and going stir crazy with the confinement- and now every single chicken is in the barn rafters. Alright, not all, three of the older girls crept back up to the coop in the dark and one of the roos stuffed himself underneath.

Here's an earlier shot I got of the hawk, he tried to get a few of the roos earlier this week. They made it to the porch and he clipped his wing on the roof.

[​IMG]

So far, Chickens: 2 Hawk: 0
    I can only hope our luck lasts

How long is it going to take for them to re-readjust?? We don't have the room to keep everyone in runs forever... Things get messy enough as it is.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

i hate hawks.[​IMG] They ate 7 of my poor chicks last spring.[​IMG]

3. Tricorn

Tricorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Sorry to hear that [​IMG]

They're so nasty because you can't do anything about the short of keeping everyone locked up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by