*Hawk Attack!!!*

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Today I had sad thing happen. A hawk dove through my der ntting on the top of my bantam run an ripped the head off of my little bantam hen. It scared me to death when I walked up on it. It flew off after getting caught in the fencing.

It was a coopers hawk. Someone told me that it will come back until it gets them all. Is this true?

If so what can I do to allow my bantams back out in their run? If at all?

Oh I am so sorry
hugs.gif

I heard that if you keep your hens in the cage for a few day the hawk will give up and leave. but still I would watch out.
so so sorry you had to wittiness this.

Sadly enough, it will come back now that it knows where your birds are. I have had them land on top of my lofts, and hang on my aviaries while I am standing out by my lofts. You must make all runs and coops absolutely impervious to hawk attacks. Any free ranging will have to be supervised, and even then there is no guarantee that the hawk will still not try to attack. Up here in NJ, the hawks generally leave in April or May and do not return until October. Good luck with resolving this situation. If you have any fencing larger than hardware cloth, they will even try to grab birds through the wire. They are tenacious and brazen.

This summer I had a Cooper's hawk get several of my chickens and all of my ducks. They are fairly relentless and mine continued to hang around. I got a dog, a guinea and fishing wire to deal with mine. I don't think it will go away. Better work on predator proofing your run.

I just left another post about this. We had a successful hawk attack right outside our back door. I felt like I let the girls down. They have a very secure coop & run, so they are in it now unless I'm standing right with them. This hawk DOES keep coming back. I have to scream like a banshee & bang things together to get it to leave. The chickens hated not free ranging for a while but I think they've become accustomed to extra sunflower seeds in their run. There's not much to forage for here now, anyway. I hate it that you lost your bantam. It seems like the predators are coming out in droves. There were two red fox hanging around the coop a few days ago. My husband missed so we know they're still there, also. A real bummer. So, an indignant chicken is better than a dead chicken for my money. Again, sorry

Thanks for all your replies and helpful tips. Thats why I love this forum so much. I will try everything to keep my flock safe.

My girls will probably hate me for a few days not being able to go outside but their house is waaay bigger than they need and they will be just fine for a while until I can figure out what to do. Predator proofing ALOT more tomorrow!

I just feel bad for the hen that was her best friend and now she doesnt have anyone. Im looking for another one to replace her but still it wont be the same...

Thanks again.

Maybe some multiple loose layers of the deer/bird netting would help stop it next time. I am hoping our rooster will kill the hawk we have hanging in the yard.

So sorry for your loss. I am very certain that this hawk is also responsible for the loss of Jack and Rose. Give Gracie some special attention. She has had a lot of loss to deal with in a short amount of time. Watch her closely for signs of stress.** RIP Jill **

I had a hawk that after eating all the pigeons from the palm tree decided to change his diet to chicken...well he was so daring that even making loud noise he would not leave, my only remedy was to get the hose and splash him, I did this three days in a row and now it's been over two months and no sign of him.
I am really sorry about your chicken...that is heart breaking.
This is the hawk in my neighbords yard..

Then when he moved to my yard

Back
Top Bottom