HAWK ATTACK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustDawn, Feb 16, 2012.

1. JustDawn

JustDawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    Got Blossom well yesterday and today, Snow White got attacked by a Hawk. I chased the Hawk away but she has some wounds. The worse one is in her crop.

I gave her an egg right after the attack just to give her quick protein. I was so happy that she was eating... but then it just dripped out of her crop. What should I do?

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the othe
    White Leghorn, a little over a year, normal weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Hawk attack - wounds - worst one in crop
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    JUST HAPPENED
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma?
    yes, wounds, worst one on crop
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation?
    Hawk
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Just gave her an egg, ate it very well, but it dipped out of crop
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny?
    No stool yet, just happened. Was normal earlier
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Cleaned her off, fed her an egg for protein... I'm a nervous wreck!

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Either
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I'll try to get some.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    pine

2. 1 silkie 2

1 silkie 2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    You might have to do suergary or worst make sher she is going to the bath room and also take her to a vet as soon as possibel to see if her food is going down normaly is all the food coming out or just a little how big is the wond clean it constenly and bandage it. Hope every thing turns out ok poor little snow

3. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    One of my chickens got abscess in her crop and when we brought her in to clean her up it was really bad. Her skin was just peeling off when we cleaned her. Just like you chicken food and water was just running right out of her. The vet checked her out and thought it might heal on its own, but it didn't. We tried feeding her small amounts of food so it didn't stretch the crop out. It didn't work. We took her back to the vet and had her crop stitched up. We also gave her injectable antibiotics for a week. She did pull through and is one of my favorites. You can try the small amounts of food at a time and see if it works for you. Keep it clean. Good luck to you and I hope Snow White pulls through.

4. JustDawn

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    UPDATE: Snow is still alive!!!

I went through all the posts here about crops and hawk attacks and I've been doing what was suggested in several of the posts. Youtube "how to" videos were helpful as well. I love youtube!

Basically, After I cleaned all the wounds, I put a small amount of superglue on what I could tell was leaking. There was another hole somewhere but I couldn't find it. I am just keeping that area as clean as possible. It is not leaking anymore. She might have to have surgery again to remove a large hard bump on the outside of her chest. I'm just waiting to see what happens with it. There is no odor coming from her wounds and they seem to look good. I am flushing all the wounds with iodine solution 3 times a day, drying and then spraying with Blu-Kot antiseptic germicide and fungicide. I am putting antibiotic ointment (neosporin) on her wounds in between the flushing procedures as well. She has antibiotics in her water. I am feeding her high protein very soft dog food (AD) and she is eating well. I am giving her small quantities and doing that throughout the day. She laid an egg the first and second day in ICU but didn't yesterday and has not yet today. Her stool is very watery but she is pooping! I do feel a hard area where her crop is so I am keeping an eye on that. She wants to go outside SO BAD. She is talkative and social.

I am cautiously optimistic!

Thanks all =)

5. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    That's great! Sounds like she is going to make it. I now am also treating our leghorn for wounds from a hawk attack. She is doing well, and also has a small hole in her crop. I noticed it after she took a drink and she was a little wet. I think it's going to heal on it's own. Keep us posted about Snow.

6. JustDawn

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    Thanks Baggagolers! Hope your little girl does well too!!!

7. 1 silkie 2

1 silkie 2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    oooh that's asome I hope she is ok in the end

8. JustDawn

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    Snow White Update

Her crop wound I did surgery on is all healed up! Her smaller wounds are also healed up as well. The large one on her back/neck area is still healing but I've introduced her back into the flock and she spent her first night with them last night. She's doing great. She got her old roost spot back and everyone is fine!!! No one is messing with her (since well, she's close to the top of the pecking order and got her spot back pretty quickly lol!). I am cleaning her remaining wound 3 times a day and spraying it with that Blu-Kote as well as adding neosporin in between the cleanings. This might be over kill but I know how much she likes her dirt baths! She is SO much happier outside and it's so much quieter in my family room!!!

Thanks all =)
    Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by