Hawk Attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lkcaffery, Dec 8, 2012.

1. lkcaffery

lkcaffery Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    A hawk attacked my sweet silkie today and there are no avian vets in my city that are on call this weekend so I'll have to help her and hope she makes it through until Monday. She definitely has wounds under one wings and on the head but I can't tell how deep and I haven't tried to really inspect too much. She seems spry and can stand up. I have her inside right now in a big tub. What can I/should I do for her until I can get her to a vet on Monday? Clean her wounds? With what? Help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would flush her wounds out with Betadine Solution, which you can get at most feed stores or Walgreen's/Walmart/Target etc, but it's probably much cheaper at a feed store.

[​IMG]

3. lkcaffery

lkcaffery Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    A happy update. Chicken Little made it through the weekend and I took her to the avian vet first thing this morning. After a brief surgery to close her wounds with some staples, and $260 later, it seems she will recover just fine. She is segregated from my other three chickens for the next couple of weeks, as the vet said they would try to peck at the staples, but she is alert, eating and in good spirits! Since hawk attacks don't often have good endings, I thought I'd share that this one is headed in the happy ending direction!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by