Hawk attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anniesmom1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. anniesmom1

anniesmom1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2013
    St. Charles, IL
    So a hawk attacked my girl yesterday but she survived with only a few injuries. It looks like a good amount of her larger tailfeathers and lower rump feathers were torn out creating some bleeding but there were no claw marks. The worst of it is one eye is all bloody. I think she may have done it to herself trying to get away. I'm just wondering if I'm on the right treatment path. I've brought her and and put her in a dog kennel. Was thinking to soak her rump a lilttle in warm salt water and then warm compress to eye and some Neosporin to the area. Anything else I'm not thinking of. Maybe some better nutrients to help bolser her immune system? What do you suggest?
    Thanks for any input!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    All good ideas! A little extra protein - mealworms and such, vitamins. Keep her quiet and warm for a couple of days, just monitor her progress, I'm sure she'll do fine, Sue

3. anniesmom1

Jan 17, 2013
    St. Charles, IL
    Thank you! She loves mealworms and will get the vitamins going as well. Tough having chickens as pets!! Happy holidays!

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    how is she doing now??? Sue

5. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    We had our first hawk attack two days ago. Our hen also had an eye injury. Maybe the hawks purposefully go for the eyes.

6. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    We have been blessed as far as hawks go. We have a beautiful pair of redtails in the area, but they have never bothered the hens. The chief hen always has one eye on the sky and when she gives the alarm they all head for the barn! This coming year we are going to get a rooster, so we'll see how that goes....

7. anniesmom1

Jan 17, 2013
    St. Charles, IL
    Annie is doing very well. She could use a sweater now as all of her flight feathers and tail and tush feathers were clipped and or ripped out by the hawk but a few days inside and some TLC seem to have done the trick. Her eye has cleared up and is only a bit cloudy so I think she may regain her sight. The hawk has stuck around and my husband was shocked at how big it is. It's the size of a young eagle and is very bold. So all of the girls are stuck inside until I can figure out a better plan to keep them safe in their yard. Thanks again for all of the kind words!

8. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    If you already have some sort of outside enclosure, simply stringing twine from side to side works quite well. The hawk won't be able to fly in & out w/o hitting the twine. Godd luck for the future, Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by