Hawk attack!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarolinaHen, Mar 6, 2014.

1. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    One ofmy leghorn juveniles was snatched up by a hawk today. My DIL saw it and raced after the hawk. It dropped the pullet. It she is pretty badly injured. She was bleeding from her mouth and obviously has a ruptured air sac. Her body cavity is filling with air. As I've pulled the air out with a syringe, no blood has come with it, and none can be seen. She's got pale skin, so internal bleeding into the body cavity would be easily recognisable. She is no longer bleeding from her mouth. Other than warmth, quiet, tylan, and pulling the air out, is there anything else that we can do?
    We have considered culling, but if it's only her air sac I hate to lose her.

2. Give her some time. She may make it back. It's hard to say but sometimes chicks can be tough.

Wish ya the best.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Give her time. You are doing all that you can for her.time will tell if she is able to pull through.

Keep us updated on her condition.

4. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    I had a 15-lb adult rooster, King Julian, that was snatched up by an eagle and dropped into our neighbors yard, where he was then attacked by their dog. (It really wasn't that poor birds day). We patched him up and he recuperated in our master bathroom for the next month - we built him a little area with straw, feed, and water. (It wasn't the best arrangement, but we have lots of indoor pets too and the bathroom is the easiest room to lock everyone else out of, and the easiest to keep clean. But really, it was weird to sit on the toilet in front of him, I felt compelled to talk to him). My husband evicted him when he started to crow again. To our amazement, he lived for years after that, with just a slight limp. I guess what I'm trying to say is chickens can live through an amazing amount of trauma, given enough time and love, and a safe, warm place to heal.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Keep the stories of hope/encouragement coming,they truly help those in need. They are so heartwarming to hear.[​IMG]

6. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    We had to put her down. She was suffering and declining rapidly. The internal damage must have been more severe than we thought :(

7. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    So very sad,my condolences on the passing of your little one.

8. Romoshka

Romoshka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    My neighbor has free ranged birds (mine are in a caged run because we have sooo many raptors about) and his birds tend to "free range" on my property. I really can't complain because I get 4-6 free eggs a day as his hens like my open barn. Now before I get to the to the issue that relates to this thread I offer my condolences to the lost hen. Neighbor has a mix of ugly naked neck birds but this year he acquired a gorgeous rooster. He looks like a cream leg bar or hybrid of that strain. He is absolutely stunning. Well Tuesday he suffered some sort of attack and his comb and wattles are beat up and bloody. We were finally able to catch him and pen him today. He has wandered about aimlessly without his usual posse of 3or 4 hens since Tuesday. I've never treated a wounded bird so looking for advice. Plan is to to clean wounds with H2O2 and apply some panalog (antibiotic/anti fungal/steroid combo) but would like to use systemic prophylactic antibiotic. Guess one would dissolve it in water but what concentration?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by