Hawk attacked chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trouble316, Dec 7, 2014.

1. trouble316

trouble316 New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Connecticut
    Please advise if you can. I have an 8 month old golden comet who was attacked by a red tailed hawk. She survived. She has a large injury on her underside by her leg and she keeps her neck pulled in, but can move it. It has been about 4 days and she is drinking a little but does not seem to want to eat. I have tried many things to entice her oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bread and grapes (her favorite treat). I have now tried baby food (corn and rice) and still no luck. She is pooping but watery and yellowish. I don't know what else to do. How much longer can she last?

2. trouble316

trouble316 New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Connecticut
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. trouble316

trouble316 New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

4. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Have you cleaned the wound? I would clean with hydrogen peroxide and apply some antibiotic ointment on it several times a day. Be sure the ointment isn't the kind with pain relief in it. Give her some poultry vitamins and electrolytes in her water. You can get it at most feed stores and Tractor Supply sells it. Until you can get to the store, you can mix some Gatorade in her water. 50/50. She needs protein to promote healing. Have you tried mealworms? Adding some warm water to their feed sometimes will encourage eating. As long as she is drinking, she can go a few days without food. But the sooner she eats the better. If you haven't already, remove her from the flock so they don't peck her wound. I would bring her inside. She needs to be in a very warm room. I think it should be around 80-85 degrees.

5. trouble316

trouble316 New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Connecticut
    She is currently staying in the house in a dog crate. I did clean the wound and have put vitamin stuff in her water. She is doing better today. I hard boiled an egg and she tried to eat the yolk part. She seems to be having trouble swallowing. But at least she is showing interest in food, which she hasn't done since she got hurt.

6. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Why not use the kind with pain relief? I had a chicken attack yesterday. I used Equate Antibiotic Cream + Pain Relief on her wounds and put a saddle on her. She looked fine today and even laid an egg. We are at our wits end with this hawk. Looks like we're going to have to put some kind of net over our run which is large.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most people try to avoid any medications with -caine in the name, such as benzocaine, pramocaine, lidocaine, etc. since they can be toxic in even small amounts to chickens. Pramoxine, the pain reliever in the medicine you used is pramocaine. A small amount might not be harmful, but I probably would not use it again.

8. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for letting me know. The only other chicken attack we've had I used Triple Antibiotic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by