Hawk attacked hen-tear in vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catherinehorse, Mar 30, 2011.

1. catherinehorse

catherinehorse New Egg

Mar 30, 2011
    I think a hawk must have tried to get my 2 year old hen. Late pm yesterday I found a bunch of feathers and thought the pedator had taken a hen. An hour later at ducsk she showed up to be let in. She has a few scrapes but the worse problem is a tear on her vent. Like a talon ripped her. Part of the insides were sticking out. I washed it out with Novasan surgical scrub and applied Novasan ointment. Put her in a stall by her self with food and water. After reading other posts it sounds like I should use electrolites and some type of antibiotic. I can stop at the feed store on the way home tonight. Any suggestions? I'm worried about infection since when she poops it will get all over the injury. She seems ok this morning. I'll post a picture of the wound tonight. Thanks for any ideas.

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    What a bummer.....A hawk got 2 of my chickens last year when they were free ranging (I was outside with them!) and both were injured but survived. his year he came back when the weather warmed up and brought a Mrs. with him. Yeah!! We are in the process of building a chicken tractor this year. But anyway....

I really glad she survived. You did the right thing by cleaning her up and putting her someplace by herself so the others don't pick at her wound. To make reintroduction into the flock easier I would put her where the others can see her and she can see them. If she is away from them for a week or more they will attack her when you let her back in with the others. Believe me, been through it myself.

She is probably in shock and will act sluggish for a few days and might not want to eat. If that is the case give her treats like scrambled egg and other high protein foods. Gatorade in her water is perfect and I like to give grapes that have been quartered. If they are cut up she won't have trouble eating them and they also contain a lot of fluid so that helps get liquids in her.

Chickens are amazing healing factories. I wouldn't use antibiotics [​IMG] unless an infection starts. That's my personal opinion. Be nice everyone.

Keep the wound clean and if her poops become an issue I would try to shield the area with a small piece of baggie barely taped to her feathers but then again I don't know what the wound looks like.

Sounds like you have a medical background. I've been away from it for a few years and I'll have to look up Novasan.

Hope she's better really soon poor girl.

I hate hawks [​IMG]

Researched Novasan....available on Amazon. Looks like a keeper. Think I'll order 2 small bottles. One for our first aid kit and one for the chicken first aid kit.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  3. Thenino

Thenino Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Was your hen ok? I have one that was attacked by an opossum. She has been acting sluggish and does not appear to be eating. Her injuries dont seem to be that bad so I am kind of worried.

4. catherinehorse

catherinehorse New Egg

Mar 30, 2011
    Well,she is still alive this morning. She was very fiesty and strong last night when I cleaned the wound. I scrambled a duck egg and she ate three quarters of it. Got her some Gatoraid. Do I put it in her water or serve it on the side? I left a separate bowl of it last night and it does not appear that she touched it. I can not see how she can survive with a chunk of her insides sticking out .....hopefully I will be surprised who knows. I'll try to get a photo. Having troubles getting someone to hold the hen while I take the picture or vis versa. People think I'm crazy.

5. catherinehorse

catherinehorse New Egg

Mar 30, 2011
    oh sorry I just re-read purpletree23 's post Gatoraid in water. Got grape thinking she might like that. I had luck getting her to eat the duck egg by holding her in a towel and holding the bowl in front of her. She did not touch it when I just left it in the stall with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by