Hawk attacked my girls this evening! I have a couple of questions

lauren6

Songster
Feb 12, 2010
Roanoke VA
I had just let them out of their run for a hour of yard time and was inside the house when I heard the girls clucking like mad outside, well I went running out there cause it just didn't sound right and what I thought was a chicken under a bush was actually a hawk! it was under there going after two barred rocks and one of my easter eggers, everyone else had scattered and were standing still. I screamed and cursed at that thing and finally it flew off. I gathered everyone up and checked them over. Thank God no one was hurt to badly. Polly has a couple of scratches on her comb but everyone looks to be ok, other than scared to death!!

Are hawks worse this time of year with all the leaves off the trees? they didnt bother the girls this summer

and now that it know there are chickens around is it more likely to come back??

All predators are worse in the winter. I'ts cold and they want a meal to keep warm. Having reduced cover with bare trees and snow makes them stand out even more. Yes it will be back now that it knows there is a meal available there. Probably on a regular basis until it determines it's not worth the effort or you keep them covered.

Last edited:
sad.png
I was afraid of that...

Ive been reading some hawk posts and just so I understand If I put some spinny shiney things around that helps the hawks focus on those instead of the chickens??

The cd and red mylar ribbon might help.Same with fake owls.Bird netting will slow them down.Deer netting more so since it is harder to break. Our resident hawk is hanging around.I have to stand outside. Even though the leaves are gone I often have a hard time seeing the hawk,but the hens see it before I do and sound the alarm. Even with me standing there I bet one day that darn hawk will attack.Hunger is a strong driving force.

Hunger drives predators. Food is more scarce now. It is a good thing that you drove it away. It now remembers food and failure regarding your place. That is far better than if it had successfully fed.

I just had a hawk kill one of mine. It did not get to eat it though. I have since ordered and installed 300 ft of silver mylar streamers over my run. See 'My BYC Page'. It costs around 50 cents a foot. A cheaper alternative is to criss-cross the run with 50 # test monofilament fishing line. The preds see it very well, unlike humans. They can see a way to drop in, but it will look impossible to escape from to a hawk or owl.

Gerry

I never had any trouble either in the Spring or Summer. I lost 2 to hawks in the last month and a half. I think they are worse this time of year from what others have said when I posted about my losses some time ago. I am now keeping them in the run unless I`m out there, at least for now. I believe your hawk may very well return in the near future.

Quote:
Do you mind telling us where you ordered the silver mylar streamers from? I've been thinking of installing something like that over my chickens yard. They don't stay in their yard, preferring the cover of the woods behind the coop; but their yard is wide open in the center and I worry.
My rooster apparently attacked the hawk that killed one of my girls before the hawk could eat. The crows are around now (they weren't at that time) and they are doing their part to help in exchange for a bit of corn.

Back
Top Bottom