Hawk attacks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by guineahen14, Jan 14, 2011.

1. guineahen14

guineahen14 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Shelbyville Tn
    I had a hawk kill one of my silkie chickens in October, we strung up fishing line all over the top of my chicken yard, which is too large to put netting, and also strung up reflective cds. Everything was fine until last week, the clever hawk learned to land on the top post of my chain link fence, dive under the line and chase down my chickens on the ground. I was alerted by my guineas and ran out there and saw the hawk attack a favorite silkie rooster, I grabbed a rake and ran after it, it saw me and was clever enough not to fly up into the fishing line. It got to the fence saw a place to get to the top and got away. My rooster was dead. A little while later I saw it sitting on the top post looking for the chicken it had killed. I chased it again and my chickens have been locked in their coops ever since. What can I do?

2. nancy/pets

nancy/pets Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Mcveytown,PA
    Try putting a fake owl or two up!!!!!!!!!!!

3. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Cost me a bit to do it but I have wire across the top of my run. I used 2x4 welded wire that will keep everyone in and all varmints out. Could use chicken wire for less expense but racoons can chew thru it. The peace of mind off-sets the cost for me...

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I had the exact same experience last year. I decided to start using the cheap plastic deer netting strung over the run. I haven't had any losses since then. The netting is very cheap and not tough enough to actually withstand an attack, but hawks will not generally attack the netting (although a BYCer reported that owls will). The netting just prevents the swoop and grab technique employed by most hawks. Works like a charm for hawks, but is not meant to keep anything more determined out.

Sorry for your losses. Good luck.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    If your yard is too big to cover, there is really nothing you can do. A hungry hawk will find a way past CDs, fishing wire, or anything short of totally covering the area.

We free range our chickens and make sure they have plenty of shrubs and other things to dive under in case of a hawk raid. Every now and then a hawk will take one of our youngsters, but the adults usually aren't bothered. We have large fowl chickens, though. Your smaller guys are probably more at risk.

Good luck!

6. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    I just saw a dozen crows chase off a Red-Tail Hawk that was in the back yard next to the coop. Is this common? Do crows ever bother the chickens?

7. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:I've seen crows chase red tail hawks also. My chickens are enclosed, so I don't know if the crows would bother them. They don't seem to be interested in them. I feed the crows in hopes they will hang around and continue to chase off the hawks. The crows also make lots of noise when hawks are around.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Crows will take eggs and MIGHT take chicks, but are worth their weight in gold in keeping hawks away.

9. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    Quote:I've seen crows chase red tail hawks also. My chickens are enclosed, so I don't know if the crows would bother them. They don't seem to be interested in them. I feed the crows in hopes they will hang around and continue to chase off the hawks. The crows also make lots of noise when hawks are around.

Thanks for the info. I plan on keeping the crows around now.

10. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    Quote:I've noticed crows picking bugs out of the garden and picking through the compost pile which is fine with me. Now they will be getting "crow treats".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by