1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk behaviors

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GhettoRoo, Nov 17, 2014.

1. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Hey!
    So as I saw, there are a `bird watchers` etc.. So mby someone can said samething about hawk behaviors.
    For example today I frighten off one hawk who was attacked on one of my hens.(Just pull of some feathers). Im interested do after frightening, It will come back in same day, weak, etc?
    P.S, Im still interestind to saw how a rooster will behave when seeing hawk attack to his hens...

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The hawk will return - maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week. Some roosters will attack a hawk injuring a hen others will run and hide.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If hawk local and chickens not primary target, then hawk likely to return if target something else that is reliably captured. Since hawk missed, that is incentive to try elsewhere. I have hawks come through multiple times each day but attacks on chickens not frequent as they used to be prior to involvement of dogs and fully adult roosters. I have not lost anything to hawks for over three years but have seen drama. Camera never at ready when drama occurs which really erks me.

4. GhettoRoo

Oct 7, 2014
    Aha. Okey, thanks for information.. Just thinking maybe after a frightening he thinks to better dont come back soon cause had frighten off.. n I can let chickens free range with no worry..
    I would love to see the 'drama' when hawk comes, and how all plays out..Roosters etc..
    Hawks stifle chickens yes? grab neck...
    Is there some expirements to accustom a hawk or eagle in chicken community?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have had hawks attack birds feeding right at my feet as well as hitting my aviaries while I was standing there. Resident birds are generally 'human aware', but migratory, young or very hungry birds just don't care - they want to eat.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Like I am with current owls. Very easy to catch and reliably abundant eats with minimal risks associated with its harvest can bring them in. I have large owls coming in every night after the very abundant rodents. They catch some each night but stay for only a little bit. They have other territory maintenance behaviors that demand their attention elsewhere balance of time. They hunt as they on that.

At work we have American Kestrels and Red-shouldered Hawks working rodents around sheep / goat weather sheds on a very regular basis, especially with snow on ground. Coopers work main buildings but not as predictable. To get what you want you need younger birds near nest area and that my train for aggravating habits later.

7. GhettoRoo

Oct 7, 2014
    Many complex words in your senteces but I think I get a idea.

Im am fantasizing how it would be to raise eagle, or at least a hawk in chicken coop.. Poult eagle raise with chicks.. To mby, they will defend a flock.. from hawks.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  8. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Overrun With Chickens

Jan 5, 2012
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by