Hawk broke through chicken wire?!

Minalikesyou

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2016
Yesterday we had a tragedy where one of our birds was attacked and eaten by a Hawk except she was in our fully enclosed coop... After the attack we found holes in the chicken wire that previously weren't there! I've had chickens for over 6 years and never come across something like this! I've also become concerned this hawk is a serious issue, one of my cats went missing about a month ago as well. She was 13 years old, small, and has never once left our yard making me worry she may have been a victim of this seemingly starving hawk. The hawk was so focused on its meal it didn't even try to escape until I was nearly five feet from it, it also purposely ignored the other shaking hens in the corner of the pen to gulp down its meal. There were four other hens present all significantly smaller then the one it attacked. The hen that was attacked was slightly larger then the bird itself, I noticed the bird was small and raggedy looking before it flew off. The circumstances all seem very strange to me, we have had hawk attacks before but they simply would kill and run never anything like this. I can barley think about it without feeling sick to my stomach, is it possible this hawk could be diseased?? If anyone has any experience I'd be extremely thankful.

You are probably dealing with an immature hawk which is indeed very hungry. It is almost guaranteed that it will return. Fortify your run and coop. I have had them enter my pigeon lofts and chicken coops. Hunger is a strong force. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice, we have decided to use some of the welded fence we have to enclose the yard to fortify the run for now. We normally let them free range our enclosed yard but we will have to keep them in at least until next spring. I feel bad taking away their freedom but safety is important. Our coop itself is extremely strong we built it inside of a shed and its even insulated really its just the run that is dangerous.

I did not see the initial strike, I came outside to treat the girls and noticed the hawk within the coop surrounded by feathers a few moments later. I was actually out just before this and believe it happened before I arrived home. I can't show a picture of the hen as we already buried it but I can still provide images of the site of attack. I also already patched the hole so it won't be easy to see but I will go out tomorrow morning and take some photos. I thought something seemed off as well, the chicken wire was a little rusty but certainty not enough for easy access.

The victimized hen was actually right in front of the coop door, it seemed she had run for the coop but didn't make it in time. The door is up a little ramp and I could easily see that slowing her down, the other hens were able to scurry inside so maybe she got blocked out? Because of that being where the hawk settled half the flock was stuck huddled in the farthest corner of the run trying to find an escape.

Back
Top Bottom