Hawk Deterrant.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by terrilhb, Jan 20, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Was just outside with a friend and we saw a hawk flying above. [​IMG] I have a cover over my run so chickens were safe. [​IMG] As we watched this hawk circling around crows came out and started dive bombing it. They chased it away. I have never seen anything so cool. So know we know how to keep hawks away. Go crows [​IMG]

2. Snowboy

Snowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    I never liked crows till I saw the same thing!!! GO CROWS!!!

3. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    Someone actually suggested encouraging crows to nest on your property, though I'm not sure how to do this. (Any ideas, anybody?) '[​IMG]' They're very territorial & do tend to keep the hawks away. I actually watched 5 crows chasing a redtail earlier this morning. As long as the crows are hanging around, the hawks seem to be scarce. Plus crows are usually very noisy when irritated, so the chooks get extra warning to take cover. (Mine free range.) But yes, that is pretty cool.

4. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I never did either. I could not believe it. They must hate hawks. LOL I am glad I had someone with me so people around here don't tell me I was imagining things. Oh and snowboy and mistymeadowchicks [​IMG] From Ga

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  5. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I've never seen any hawks around my place at all, but there are crows all over. I did once see one far off being chased away by crows. I consider myself very fortunate. I let my chickens free range my backyard everyday and haven't (yet) had to worry at all about hawk attacks. I hope the crows stick around.

6. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I just lost one of my EEs to a Coopers Hawk today. My ladies are free range with my sheep and the darn hawk landed right in the middle of the pen and got her. She died quick but I was too late to help her. I do have an area that I have strung fishing line criss-cross to deter the hawks and that seems to work, but unfortunately I can't do it over the whole farm. Good luck.

7. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    I have a hawk that has been hanging around my bird feeder that I want to send on his way.
    I had read that crows keep hawks from coming around.
    I know we have crows that hang out down the street from my house.
    I heard planting corn or having corn available attracts crows.
    I will gladly plant some corn to get rid of the hawk.

8. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    dkosh I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Thank you but at least she went quick. I have a lot of hawks around my farm and I'm always on the look out. I told my husband that I wanted to string up more fishing line and he just gave me a "are you serious?" look and said that I was crazy. He may be right. lol [​IMG]

10. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    On that fishing line you should hang CDs. I heard the glare deters hawks also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by