Hawk deterrent: Reflective tape. Any reviews?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BaGAWK!!, Dec 13, 2011.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Has anyone used the reflective tape from Nite Guard to repel hawks? It's supposed to be super shiny like a mirror and make noise. I want to know how it works before I buy it.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Doubt it will work but if ya wanna try something like it get that prism tinsel like goes on the Christmas tree and see if that works, i know CD's worked for me when i needed and area protected i strung fishing line across and had them hanging down with fishing line, i place them every 5 foot and never had hawks try to get the young uns and when the sun was shinning i had one heck of a light show and even had a light show at night when they caught the light form my security lights that were in the distance looked like animal eyes all over the place. pretty cool looking

3. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I might try your idea of fishing line and CDs hanging. Dang thing got a young buff dundotte guinea the other day, my only male! [​IMG] i am just so frustrated I could scream! In fact I have.

Here is a link to the repellent tape im talking about. Anyone used it? Please say yes and that it's successful before I tear my hair out.. http://www.niteguard.com/pages/OtherProducts/

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I did fishing line with some red mylar ribbon taped on it here and there. CD's I placed shiney side up on some bamboo poles with a zip tie under it to hold it in place. The chickens made it through the summer without an attack or loss.

[​IMG]

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The chickens made it through the summer without an attack or loss.

I didn't put up anything at all, and my chickens have made it for about 9 years without any losses, and only one failed attempt that I know of

Providing the birds a place to hide has more effect than all those other gimmicks, and doesn't look tacky either​

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:This is what i did but i hung cd's from fishing line off the lines going across but i strung mine up in the tress so it was much higher.I did catch a guinea or 2 when they got their wing hung in it but none were harmed just caught [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by