Hawk deterrent?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by johnnymac221, Dec 20, 2011.

1. johnnymac221

johnnymac221 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Payne
    Does anyone have a hawk deterrent?

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I have no proof of this except I do not have hawk problems but lots of hawks around but my Toulouse GEESE seem to be a deterrent against hawks. I have 7 grown Toulouse.

Also, another deterrent is keeping Large Fowl or keeping a Game or other formindable Rooster. I have Large Fowl chickens except for 1 lone Bantam hen so really for me, the Red Tailed is the only hawk concern (my birds are too big for a Cooper's). I find that the Red Shouldered Hawks, which are the most abundant around me, do not pay my chickens any mind. Their diet does not consist of chicken. In the past, I have seen my big roosters run off hungry, juvenile Cooper's trying to catch my bantam hen. Also, my brother told me he witnessed a Game Rooster kill a juvenile Red-tailed hawk that was going after a hen.

You might also check out this site for some different ideas: http://www.biconet.com/birds.html

I've
    ordered different stuff from them in the past.

3. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    If you can attract crows to your area the crows chase hawks, and the hawks steer clear from the crows and your chickens. Corn may be a good crow attractant, like scratch or something. I already have crows in my area so I don't have to attract them. Hope this helped.

4. 5parrots&zoo

5parrots&zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    I was devastated this evening, when I discovered my smallest hen was killed by something, not sure if it was a hawk. All that remained of my dear little Pixie was some bones, feet, and her feathers and head. If a hawk would have gotten her, would there have been blood spattered about? There was none that we could see. One of my hens was cowering under the hen house, she seemed to be in shock, she was not acting like her usual self. Can someone tell me is this the work of a hawk? Her remains were found under a tree, and next to the fence. The tree is on the outside of the pen, and the branches reach over the pen in that particular spot. A little while after I turned the girls out in the yard to forage, a hawk flew over, and the hens all dashed to a tree by our house. Any help in the identity of the predator would be very much appreciated. My husband thought perhaps since there was no blood to be seen, she may have died, and perhaps a buzzard finished her. Just up the road about 1/2 mile, there was a very large group of buzzards dining on a deer that was roadkill. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am going to see about putting up chicken wire over the top of the pen for as much area as I can.

5. johnnymac221

Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Payne
    Chickens don't bleed a whole lot. This sounds like a neighborhood dog or other rodent.

6. johnnymac221

Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Payne
    Quote:Thanks for the link, I will check them out. I have been adding turkeys and hope to add geese soon. Hopefully this will keep them away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by