hawk discouraging

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SpiderSilk, Aug 11, 2014.

1. SpiderSilk

SpiderSilk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Alabama
    What does everyone do to.discourage hawks?

2. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    well when they get low enough I usually throw rocks [​IMG] No just kidding but my dog usually barks at them and he weighs 100 pounds so that does the trick.

3. Eluria

Eluria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    I am wondering that myself, as I would like mine to free-range during the day, but am concerned about hawks or neighborhood cats (those would be the only natural predators in my neighborhood).

4. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    usually chickens will see hawks and run under cover. one time all 4 of my hens were at my back gate growling into the woods not moving at all so i walked back there and all of the sudden a HUGE golden eagle flew out from a tree 15 feet from my chickens. once it flew away my hens ran to their house and went to bed.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  5. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

When I have ducklings, and the hawks have youngsters, I get a clothes hanger and put an old sweater on it and hang it up in different trees on different days, as if it were a person working there. I pin the arms onto branches, to give it shape. this helps a lot.

6. AllisonB

AllisonB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Northeast U.S.A
    If they are really little, I'd keep ducklings in a covered space... I've seen some people even do this with colorful umbrellas. Hawks got two of three ducklings in an open-top enclosure on a school patio. After that umbrellas shaded the survivor.

7. SpiderSilk

SpiderSilk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Alabama
    Mine are fully feathered. I just worry when they are free ranging in the yard. We have a resident hawk and a owl. They have a predator proof pen they stay in when we are not at home and at night. I sure don't want to loose them to a hawk though.....

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Just because you don't see other predators don't assume they are not there they are pretty much everywhere even in suburban and inner city neighborhoods, they just stick to the shadows normally but when you present them with an easy chicken dinner they will likely magically appear...

Back to the OPs question you can flight next the area, or even just hang a bunch of cloth lines or string across the area... Hawks like open areas when they dive, if there are strings between him and the prey that will prevent him/her from making last second flight adjustments and pose an entanglement risk they will generally stay in the sky... You can even hang some ribbon, aluminum pie tins or other shiny objects on the strings to make them more effective, might not look great but it will discourage the hawks...

9. Eluria

Eluria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    I was thinking more during the day since they would be locked up at night when something like a raccoon would come out (I have never seen one, but like you said, that doesn't mean they aren't there). I will be waiting until they are feathered and much bigger before I Iet them range at all, but I still worry that something might try to grab them even then. I will try the sweater idea and maybe some flash tape on our swing set and patio overhang, if they are discouraged by shiny objects. Thanks!

10. Trent Hardy

Trent Hardy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Newfoundland, Ca
    According to the size of your flock, you could build a small (maybe 5'x5') mobile covered pen to keep them in during the day. I'm thinking something wheeled. Roll it up to the pen, flush them into it, close the door, and then just wheel it to a different area of your yard every morning. Not quite the same as free-ranging I know, but might be an idea....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by