Hawk dive bombing at my GSD ...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by The Chicken People, Sep 8, 2010.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    and my lil dog as I was standing on back porch! I cant pen up my layers because their coop is too small! They need the run area and it isnt covered! Cant afford it and are trying to finish bigger coop! Ugh...can I shoot it if it eats my birds? What do I do?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    Could try bottle rockets;)

3. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I think it has a nest in the tree on my neighbors property but good
    neighbor..lol.. he has no house on his land and only comes out to mow or throw a party yearly or hunt!
    I just dont know how we should handle this legally I have a right to protect my livestock!
    I meant a responsibility ti protect!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Sorry all raptors are federally protected.

5. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Like woodmort said, you CAN'T shoot a raptor. If you get caught doing so, you're going to pay a hefty price.

6. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    You could try criss-crossing fishing wire across the top of your pen like a lot of koi pond farmers do to keep the birds from diving in for a quick meal. The birds have keen eyesight and will think twice before trying to land between the wires. Just a thought...

7. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    AllCoop'dUp thanks for the suggestion! What pound test should I use do you know? And my neighbors on the other side have a koi pond! Thanks so much! Simple solution..something I have lots of and my best friend wil! do this on her koi pond as well!! I am going to tie old cd's to fishing line and throw up in my trees tomorrow! I knew I could find other ways to ward it off! I will update on how it goes! I will definetly be in the back yard more and we are finishing the big coop this weekend! I also plan to find a cheap way to cover the run on the new chicken yard! Predators are pests!

8. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
  9. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Put out a loud radio a talk station and put out some clothes on a hanger to look like a person. Hang it so that the wind will blow it. It may help especially if you move it around. Do your chickens have things to hide under? They need things to hide under

10. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I am going to check into the deer netting! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by