Hawk? dog? rooster?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GoldenSparrow, Nov 27, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I let the chickens out today, and went out.
    a few hours after I came home I found 5 feet of ground scattered with my rooster Hopes feathers.
    my 4 year old rooster Hope was out with 3 hens and 2 five mouth old roosters.(they have not mated yet with any hen, one has tryed to mate, but only a few times they havent even crowed yet.)

I found Hope fine. we looked him over and found this right between his wings. it is covered by a few long feathers so if we had not looked him over we would have never have known.
    [​IMG]

what could it have been?
    Thanks

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have no idea,but I am glad they all made it!

3. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Dog, maybe? My border collie loves to try and "play" with our chickens. She pulls out the feathers. [​IMG]

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Quote:something you just said has really made me think! my hen got killed dont no by what 1 got killed bya stoat a few weeks before but it took the head and the rest of the body untouched, anyways there was a big pule of feathers and then a trail of them and then the body and all the feathers were took out of her bakc and a chunk out her back and to my point this person rents my uncles feild (were my hens are) and hes a farmer and dosent like my hens and he has 2 border collie dogs which wonder round the feild by them selfs. GoldenSparrow so glad non were dead

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    not a hawk , not the other roosters......my guess a dog

6. chics n more

chics n more Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Deep Gap, NC
    That's what my hens looked like after another visit from the neighbor's dog...the ones that lived that is- [​IMG]
    I covered the area with Blue Kote to disinfect and discourage pecking and it worked great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by