1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk/Falcon troubles

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LittlenRedHen782, Sep 15, 2010.

1. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    This morning when I went to let me girls into the backyard, where they love to roam and scratch. I didn't see most of them, so I called and used the dog and bribery to try and get them into the yard, where I can see them from the windows. During this process a bird of pray, either a peregrin falcon or a young cooper's hawk, flew into the yard just below the top pf the fence. I panicked and began picking up the ones that I could, many of them went to hide under a small pine tree in the yard, and putting them in the coop with the door closed. During this process the hawk/falcon swooped the yard two more times. I spent time in the yard with some of the girls, and opened the door to the coop so the others could leave if they wanted to. After their mid-day nap they have started to come back out. I am trying to figure the best way to protect them with out leaving them in the coop all day. They have two fenced yards that they roam in and a large horse coral (they love sharing the horses hay), right now I don't have the means to put netting over the smaller yard. What should I do? I will be putting up reflectors and string if I have any, is there any thing else I can do besides let them out and pray for their safety?

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I would leave in the coop for a couple of days until it moves on. They are pretty brave and they will keep coming until they get a meal. They will move on once there is not a meal available. But, they will come back around they always do and the fish wire and discs are a waste of tme

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by