hawk got chicken and dog tried so hard to protect her

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dorothy1324, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    today i went out to drive my daughters to school the dog always goes along for the ride but he ran into the woods and would not come back then i looked up in a tree and saw a hawk sitting there and walked out and my Dog bear a golden retrevier was hovering over the dead chicken looking right up at the hawk the hawk stayed untill i cleaned up the chicken and the dog would not let him come back down for the feast.
    He has always loved the chickens sience he was a puppy never even once has gone after them in an agresive manner he always is chasing stuff off i think he was feeling bad about not getting there in time. (my fault he was going crazy in the house for about a half an hour prior to this. I just thought he was excited about going for his morning ride.)

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Poor dog! and poor you. You will listen to him next time, I bet. :hugsSorry that had to happen!

3. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Sorry about your chick. Hug that dog and make sure he stays safe, what a special guy he is.

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Awww...poor Bear! Give him some extra attention tonight. I had a shepherd/dane mix who was the best! If something like that happened, he always took it so personally. [​IMG] Just reassure him he's a good dog. [​IMG]

Sorry for your loss.

Shelly

5. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    thankyou for your thoughts we do loose them from time to time as our farm in on the middle of 52 acers and we understand that it happens but still don't like it. if you look in the pic section there is a pic of bear and my girls and jake our black lab he is a beutifull boy

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  6. Duppydo

Duppydo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Sorry you lost one of you girls...What a good dog..! This just goes to show that a couple folk around here who insist that all dogs are natural chicken killers and will always try to kill someones chickens is wrong...Now they have been proven wrong, alot has to do with how a dog is brought up...some dogs will kill chickens no matter what, but for these folks to say "all" dogs kill chickens is bullda....

7. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    i do also think it is how they are brought up our Black lab is actually scared of the chickens

8. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    I got a chance to spend some time on line (I really should of been doing 1 of over 100 other things but hey a girl needs a break now and then). I just wanted to say you have a really nice looking family there.

9. Dorothy1324

Jun 21, 2007
    oh well thankyou the chickens and ducks were so well behaved for the pictures the kids and dogs gave me a hard time but it was fun

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    yup yup...listen to Bear from now on...when he wants out let him go. That is sweet that he loves the chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by