1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk got hen! Throat is ripped open...DH is deployed and I can't kill her. HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kvmommy, Nov 21, 2012.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I caught a hawk in the midst of slaughtering my only chicken left from my original hatch. She is a mean tyrant to all chickens but I love her immensely. Her throat is torn open and I can see everything. She is rasping really bad and can't stand. The humane thing is to cull her but I can't! I can't find the hatchet and I practiced with the axe and I have no control. I have a rifle but her head is so small and I'm shaking I'm afraid I'll miss and hurt her more. I have no ether and I can't suffocate her. I don't want to break her neck because I dont' know how and I don't think i'll survive the feeling of it. Please help me. I don't know what to do. She is suffering. my kids are hysterical...i'm trying not to be. What do I do???

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

you can put her in a cooler with a blanket. then put in a box of baking soda, and a bottle of peroxide. it creates a gass that will make her go to sleep peacefully. sorry for your loss!!!

3. sherburne'sFabulousEggare

sherburne'sFabulousEggare Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Horrible! I would get a box and have kids line with paper or pine shavings and place hen in there. She is not going to survive long, and you can keep her comfortable at least. Perhaps have a little prayer service with her and let the kids say goodbye.

For yourself, take time to breathe and remember all things are not in our control, it is ok not to be super mom.

Blessings,
    Mom who chased and screamed after a raccoon who got one of my feathered babies!

4. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    Thank you. I will do that. Its much better than her suffering or me harming her more. thank you thank you.

5. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    Ok...well I failed. I checked after about 5 minutes. She was still alive. I can't do it. Its not in me to do it. Will she die horribly and painfully if I bandage her up?

6. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Mix the baking soda and peroxide in a bottle

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post pictures of her wounds? It's possible, but she might survive.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm all for euthanasia, but I've also seen some chickens with horrific wounds recover.

9. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    I can't take the pics myself and hold her. It appears that the all the skin is ripped off and hanging by a flap. She isn't very cooperative so I can't look super carefully but all throat stuff looks fully intact. None of seems torn or bleeding. Her wing is hanging kinda funny when she's relaxed but she is doing so much better than when I found her. She was flopping and rasping loudly when I found her. Now she is relaxed and not rasping. But when I try to check her wounds she fights me tooth and nail. I have pen-c but no syringe and its about 4 mo. old in the fridge. Last time I injected my chicken she died.

10. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    I tried to bandage her but failed. I did apply blue kote. I dont' think she'll make it. Its huge and awful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by