Hawk got one of my girls, what to do?

Hiram

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
I came home yesterday to a quiet scene. Slowly I opened the gate and to my surprise a chicken that is normally shy ran to me. I pick her up then I noticed that the others were not playing. As I searched, I saw it. A three foot hawk in my yard eating one of them. My heart is broken. What can I do because he is still around? I have put them in the run for now.

Last edited:
If at all possible, I would lock them up for as long as possible, a few days to weeks.
Once thw hawks know where the fast food joint is, they won't leave...

aaww thats so sad!!
hit.gif
Sorry for your losses! I have read that hanging "shiny" things in the yard keeps the hawks away.. also loud noises..

ANything that would cause a reflective effect in the sun would be good to hang in your yard...

This bird doesn't seem to be afraid of a human. I mean he perches in my yard close enough to hit with a rock. I tried!!! I got to do something.

I have had these same kind of hawks hang around. I throw a rock and it just moves to a different spot. Three times I have found their dead bodies after several days. I think some times when they are old, injured or very young, they get desparate enough to ignore humans. All you can do is lock them up safe and wait it out. I have not tried the shiny objects hanging around, but we have way too large a place for that.

Hawks are a BIG issue where i live.
They are not scared of humans in the least.
They will even go after my chickens if im trying to guard them.
They are terrible! Its not only the hawks but we also get Eagles!
I live in a forestry type area and there are lots of trees for them to perch on and stalk my chickens.
I have not had any chickens taken recently but i have had them taken before.
Sometimes even if you lock them up it doesn't do much because it isn't just one bird going after them.
Its to the point i can't free range at all anymore.
Now i'm making a run with a roof so i no longer have to worry while they are out.

Back
Top Bottom