Hawk got one of my girls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pjomega, Oct 2, 2012.

1. pjomega

pjomega Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Rhode Island
    So I have had 4 hens for the the pas five months. I live in Rhode Island, and had never seen a hawk in my neighborhood. After a couple weeks of having them in a run, I decided to let them have access to my fenced in backyard. With me out there, a hawk came down, but the girls got away. I had not seen the hawk again. A few days ago, I came home and discovered one of my barred rocks mauled in the backyard. I wasnt sure what got it, and the next morning I let the other three out, and within 10 minutes I heard a commotion, ran out there, and the hawk was flying away, I put them in their run, and I have seen the hawk around my back yard a few more times. I already had the fake owl, and some cds hanging, which obviously didnt deter the hawk. Two questions...If I keep them in their covered run for a little bit, will the hawk eventually move on to another area? And my other question, will the hawk stay up here with winter coming, or do they migrate? Thank you very much

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In any given area there are resident hawks so this bird may or may not leave. Also this time of year hawks are migrating South and there are several flyways along the Eastern seaboard. Hopefully you are dealing with a migratory bird, but understand that there may also be a bird that overwinters in your area. There was a large female redtail (readily distinguishable because she was 50 % white) that overwintered at a horse farm across th road from me for nearly 20 years. I would suggest free ranging your hens only while you are present and not for the next week or so.

3. pjomega

pjomega Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Thank you so much for the response. I definitely wont be letting them free range at the moment. I just feel bad leaving them in the run, even though its good size, it probably bothers me more than them.

4. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Ours were attacked by a gyrfalcon a few weeks ago while they were free ranging. Now, we keep them in a covered run (with fishnet) and we only free range when we're out with them (about an hour or two each day).

5. OnewChook

OnewChook Chillin' With My Peeps

'Just because you didnt se one before doesnt mean they're not there!' -Unknown

That Hawk has probably been living around your place for a while. I have no knowledge of Hawks Migrating..

Have fun and [​IMG]!!!!!

6. 3 Chicks

3 Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    We had a close call with a hawk (I walked outside as the hawk pinned the chicken--but I scared it away). So, I have gradually tried to let the chickens free-range...short intervals, dog in the backyard, etc. Last weekend, I was in the front yard while the chickens were out in the backyard and I noticed a hawk circling right above the roof. I went running around the house and scared the hawk in mid-dive for a chicken. I have come to the conclusion that my chickens cannot be out of the run without me with them every moment. I even have lots of ground cover in the backyard and they are still targets. Pretty sad :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by