Hawk got one of my roosters, and I got him back!

Random Bantam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
NE Ohio
He's a bit rough looking, missing a LOT of feathers, his comb was injured, and a few small scratches/peck marks on his back. Nothing deep, just looks rough. I brought him in and he is in a dog crate in our basement.
roll.png
I have antibiotics in his water, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help him heal faster? Like more protein, or something special? Any ideas? He is nice & warm, we have a wood burner down there. But he can't go back out until he gets some feathers back. He's one of three roos that are free range all year round here. I bet his buddies outside are jealous!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your roo! Just give him lots of T.L.C. and I bet he'll do fine without serious injury! Hope he gets better soon

Just a word of caution about re-introducing him--the other roosters may not let him back into the flock once he is gone. In my experience, once they are gone for a few days, the others may try to kill him. Is there any way you could keep him in the coop in a cage to nurse him back to health? that way, he would still be with the others. I would give him 20% flock raiser, or maybe a bit of gameird feed, but don't over do the protein. Probiotics in his water would help his gut bacteria after the antibiotics. Look closely for any puncture wounds on his skin--those can abscess if they close too soon.

Thank you! He crowed this morning! I need to come up with a solution outside, but I worry about the cold, even with a heat lamp. He's normally just free range and not in the coop w/the hens. I'm just not sure where to put him.

I'm impressed that you were able to get your rooster back! When the hawk takes one of mine, it's like the chicken just disappeared. As for where to keep him...I have a few suggestions. If you have any outdoor structure that blocks the wind (a three-sided barn, a lean-to, maybe a carport)...you could keep him in a cage with plenty of hay to keep him warm, yet still be able to view the other roosters while they are wandering around. If it's not too much trouble, you could bring him in when a cold front comes along, and take him outside on the sunny days. It gets up to 65-70 degrees in Texas between cold fronts. If it does where you are, take him outside (in a cage or in your arms) and remind the roosters that he's still part of the flock.

I'm in NE Ohio, and we've been near zero most of the week. Tomorrow will be in the 30's, and I'm going to move the dog crate to the garage, w/ a heat lamp. That way the others can visit him, and see him. Great idea!! Thank you!

The only reason I got him back is because my husband saw the attack, I ran out there and the hawk flew away. My rooster came running towards me and I picked him up. He's doing great, and right now is crowing in my basement. LOL!

He is doing GREAT!! His feathers are coming back, he's crowing (LOL!). He is still inside because it's too cold for him outside. His wounds are almost healed.

Now it's my turn to have some rough luck. Two of my beautiful roosters often wander the property free ranging while the hens and the dominant rooster stay inside the fenced "chicken coop area." This weekend while I was away, my parents found two piles of feathers
hit.gif

I have seen a group of domestic dogs running around in the early morning hours. Since there are feathers left behind, I suspect they did it. I guess I better build another pen for bachelor roosters. Can't trust that they will be safe to free range anymore :(

Oh no, I'm so sorry!!! :( It's never easy to lose one. I know, we had three free-range roosters, I have one inside, the next day I found his brother dead. Just laying on my garage floor. So that left one free range one left outside, so he's now in a pen w/ a heat lamp. I can't put them in the coop with all the others, they'll fight. So until I have the inside one rehabbed enough to go back out, it will have to work. Sigh.

Im sorry about your roosters.

Back
Top Bottom