Hawk got our precious lakenveldor! HELP asap!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Javabarnes, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Javabarnes

Javabarnes Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Please HELP ASAP!!!

We caught the hawk on her. Her coup is torn though...hubs found the contents on the ground. She isn't bleeding bad, but it is a pretty bad wound. Hubs scared the hawk, she ran and hid. She is in the coop now....Does she have a chance or should we put her down so she doesn't have to suffer?

Is there ANYTHING I can do to help her besides a vet?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If her crop is torn, you will have to stitch and/or crazy glue it back together. I have repaired pigeons with similar wounds, and as long as there are no internal injuries they can recover from grievous wounds. Good luck.

3. Javabarnes

Apr 7, 2012
    She is acting fine, which is great! But it is definitely torn. We are going to try super glue. I feel mch more comfortable with that than stitches...and I don't knwo where to get stiches. Thank you. Wish us luck!

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's a two person job. One person put the torn part together, and the other apply the glue. Don't glue your helper to the hen. Keep her away from the other chickens until she heals. Again, GOOD LUCK!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd also keep her inside and feed her nothing but soft foods until she heals.

-Kathy

6. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Oh boy! I'll be following this one. best of luck.

7. steny03

steny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Nevada
    I'll be following too....

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If the wound to crop(internal) does not stay closed,you have to stitch. Super glue may hold outside wound together,but does not usually work to well on internal wounds. Keep her on soft foods. Watch for infection.

9. Javabarnes

Apr 7, 2012
    OK so we cleaned it all and figured out the wound better. She has 2 holes in her crop....one near what I think is the top that is small, pencil eraser size. The other, pretty low is about an inch or so across with part attached to feathers and skin hanging. We glued the little one shut, I bet that part will heal well. We glued the big one shut, gluing the hanging part back over top like it should be.

But the skin...there is no skin left to glue. Just lots and lots of exposed muscle. VERY little blood, like less that I have from a finger prick. But there is no gluing the outside wound shut. We slathered it all in neosporin after cleaning the very best we could (that part was obviously very painful, poor girl!) We are worried that she may not be able to heal from this. But I dunno...if we fixed the crop well enough then she just has to make it without getting an infection.

So now...is there anything we should do to help cover the muscle? The skin won't just grow over that will it? I am talking probably a 4 or 5 inch area with NO skin at all, but no damage to the muscle that we could see.

She is resting in a cage inside the house in a dark room alone. Assuming the crop is sealed...when should we offer food and water? And soft foods...but what?

ETA: What do we watch for in terms of infection? Like oozing? I mean...I know what to look for in humans but I won't be able to see red streaks in her skin or feel a fever.

I really love this bird! And she is our best egg layer too.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have seen scalped birds with their skull showing and skin missing down their neck heal with skin growing from the outside inward. When you say '4 or 5' inches do you mean a spot 2 X 2? It will be important to keep slathering the wound/muscle with antibiotic ointment. Bottom line is that you are giving her a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by