Hawk Hanging Around

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chipmunkridge, Nov 27, 2010.

1. chipmunkridge

chipmunkridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    This fellow has been hanging around the past couple of day. He even came into the garage twice to check out my caged show birds, WHILE my 19 year old son was out in the yard. Then he came back to stand on the top of the chicken run to watch chickens. Thank goodness it's covered with hardware cloth and he couldn't get in. The hawk must be young and hungry to make it so bold. This is why chickens can't free range at my house........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    WOW, & I thought our halk crazy... I dont think its age, Its just he way they are. I have pens 30 feet from my door and one of my babies came up missing ( no tops in the 1+ years I have had them ) So it was time to get some tops on.. we framed them out with wood and lowered them down on the top of there pens.... Next morning the halk was sitting on the frame watching there door, he could not get to them. As soon as I opened my door he took off. I have posted on here because in the last few weeks I have lost 3, 2 were killed by something that dug a hole under there fence, we have set traps & cought a oppussem & a fox.... WE re did all the pens so everything is framed in wood/fence 100%...... Now I did not get but 1 reply here, when I posted so I googled and found that this time of year is the worst for loss, The leaves have fallen off the trees to open up areas on the ground that were not seen just a month ago, the grass is dorment and lower then just cut grass, hay field grass is now laying & allows ground animals to see much more & further. I have seen a site were one owner talks about its a warning to a bad winter comming. For the halk issues, if they can not get them they will soon stop coming, they will move on to a feeding area. I have not seen our halk near the pens but I have seen him flying way above & he kept on flying.

Good luck, I hope he moves on soon & leaves you alone

3. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I use bottle rockets and they work very well, no blood lost in two years. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by