Hawk has my turkeys in hiding!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ColbyNTX, Dec 22, 2010.

1. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Yesterday while I was at work, it looks like a hawk came visiting. I got home after dark and couldn't find any of my 13 free range turkeys. This morning 2 of my bronze hens showed up. I went to look for the rest and found a guinea with its throat ripped open! Even the wind pipe was sliced in two. I went into the barn(old 100yd X 30yd chicken house built in 1957) and found the other 11 turkeys hiding in there. They have been in there all day and will not come out. They have never even gone in there before. I guess they will come out when they get thirsty and hungry. I did see the hawk back about 10:00 this morning and the guineas went nuts running for cover.

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    shotgun will take care of that problem

3. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Almost 5:00 here and 9 of the 13 have come out of the barn. The hawk is in a tree right now about 200 yards from the house. I can't see him but I hear him calling. I just got back from the vet getting shots for my pyreneese and my son said the hawk made a low pass through the yard while me and the dog were away. He is out there with his flock guarding them now. He is only 8 1/2 months so I guess he hasn't learned the threat from other birds yet. He keeps all the furry predators away and now maybe birds.

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i hope the dog protects them. the hawk will hang around being there is a chance for a a easy meal

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    .17 Hmr

6. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    The only thing is that the hawk didn't get his meal! I guess the dog ran it off before he could get his kill. The guinea was in the yard with its throat riooed out. But I do have several shootguns and a .17HMR and just about everyother cal made. [​IMG]

7. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Too bad you don't have a mocking bird in youre pasture. I have one that chases teh hawks away every time. Brave little fella he is. [​IMG]

8. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Hawks are alway a problem. They are protected.

Lead poisoning has kept the numbers down....so I'm told

SSS

Good Luck

9. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with bigdawg [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by