Hawk help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shalla, Nov 25, 2016.

1. shalla

shalla Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    I just had my first hawk experience..
    I was home when it happened so I was able to run out as soon as I heard the commotion.
    Everyone is accounted for but one is injured. She's bleeding from her breast area.
    I plan on bringing her inside at least over night to keep an eye on her..

I just need advice on what to do for the wound.. no pictures yet.

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Go to your local feed store and get some liquid veterycin. A good sized bottle can cost around $30, but it's totally worth it. It increases oxygen flow to a wound, which helps it heal faster without chemicals. You can use it on any animal.
    Take a close look at her wound. Did it tear her crop? If it did tehn she will either need extreme special needs care til it heals or she should be put down. If it didn't get her crop then just make sure she is eating and drinking. If she is in shock then you might have to force feed her.

Hope she makes it!

3. shalla

shalla Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Thank you.
    I sprayed it with veterycin. It loops like his talon hooked under the skin and separated it from the muscle.. no puncture at all.

She was acting like herself within 20 minutes.
    Now she's angry I separated her

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] DON'T LET HER HYPNOTIZE YOU INTO GIVING HER FREEDOM. Make sure that she at least has a scab over it before you let her out.

5. shalla

shalla Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Well..
    She's alive and doing well. I felt bad keeping her away from her friends so I kept her in the carrier in the coop..
    Much to my surprise this morning I find that they let her out!
    She was standing there with everyone else ready to be let out with everyone else.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by