Kindercare

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2016
Virginia
All,

Can you ID this hawk?
IMG_20171003_135355209_HDR.jpg

I heard a ruckus in my coop and ran out to find it attacking one of my hens. I freed the hen and shut the coop door, so it is currently stuck in my coop.

It appears to have an injured wing and leg not sure if that is from the fight with my chickens or it was already injured.

Also, my hen has deep puncture wounds on her back. Looks like they broke the skin and fat layers but not into the muscle. Can I just treat with saline or does she need stitches to close the holes?

That looks like one scared hawk!!!

I am glad you got your girls out safely!

Call animal control or DNR or wildlife management to come get the hawk.

As for your girl, definitely flush with saline. Can you post a pic of her injuries? Hard to know if she would need stitches. Probably not if it's just a puncture wound and not bleeding.

All,

Can you ID this hawk?
View attachment 1151600

I heard a ruckus in my coop and ran out to find it attacking one of my hens. I freed the hen and shut the coop door, so it is currently stuck in my coop.

It appears to have an injured wing and leg not sure if that is from the fight with my chickens or it was already injured.

Also, my hen has deep puncture wounds on her back. Looks like they broke the skin and fat layers but not into the muscle. Can I just treat with saline or does she need stitches to close the holes?
Harvey hawk is back for chickens :p

Back
Top Bottom