1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk injured our silkie!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CharlotteRenee, Dec 18, 2015.

1. CharlotteRenee

CharlotteRenee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    hey guys, so our silkie bantam Wonder got gashed by a hawk today.
    I did not see her in the fenced area so I told my sister and we went looking, I looked in the front and she looked in the back by the woods. Suddenly I hear " Wonder! Wonder! I ran in the back thinking she was dead, my sister came to me holding her and said she's hurt... She had seen feathers around and saw the hawk, and as soon as he saw my sister her flew away.

So, my mom called various vets and finally found someone to take her... She was put in anesthesia and stitched up, she just made it through surgery and is waking up.

Warning for everyone.... And please pray for her.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Awwwww poor thing, let us know how she is doing...must've been a pretty big gash to have to be under anesthesia. And good that you got there when you did to save her.

3. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    The vet wanted her to stay overnight there and rest, So will try to give an update when she gets home.
    I am hoping she will recover fine, must be so traumatizing for her....

4. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    Ok just got her home...

She's doing well, drinking and pooping not eating yet, she's also awake ATM. They gave us some antibiotics for her, will post a pic of her later....

5. cajun chicken

cajun chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2015
    Central City, LA
    How did this turn out? Did she pull through? Thanks

6. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    She is doing Amazing! Eating, drinking, pooping. And she is trying to roost on her water bowl. We take her out a few times a day, just holding her, she seems to like being cuddled. She is a sweetheart! She is on bed rest for another week or so, but she is healthy and becoming stronger! you never know, things could still happen, looking good though!

Thank you for caring! I really appreciate it!

7. cajun chicken

cajun chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2015
    Central City, LA
    That's awesome! I like to hear how these kinds of things turn out. Thanks for the update

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by