Hawk injury

tikitiki

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Our 7 wk. hen was attacked by a hawk yesterday. Has a pretty deep wound under her right wing. We cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide, and then warmed her in her own little brooder. She seemed to be in shock for a while, but by late evening began to eat and drink. Pooped for the first time this morning, and then ate and drank with more regularity. Just had a visit with the rest of her flock, and seems happy - no pecking or squabbles. Put some antibiotic ointment on the wound, and left her with her flock for a bit. Do you think it is too early for her to stay with her flock? Should she stay confined until she is completely healed? This is our first flock - help!!
Thanks!

You said the injury is under her wing - she will hopefully be ok as long as the injured part isn't showing. If you notice any picking, you can put the blue kote on it.

Welcome to BYC. Keep packing the wound with antibiotic ointment as necessary til she heals. Keep a close watch for pecking/picking problems. Eating and drinking normally is a good sign.

Hi && Welcome!!!!
wee.gif

Any other ideas on wound treatment? Should I just leave it alone, and let nature do its work?

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I'd definitely keep doing using the ointment & keep the wound as clean as possible if I were you. Lots of good luck with her
thumbsup.gif

Thank you to everyone! I'll try to get a photo of the wound posted asap. She still seems happy with the flock - everyone is very peaceful. The ointment seems to annoy her a bit, but figure she just has to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom