1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk invasion East Tn

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ladyride, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Talk about hawk invasion we just had about 25 of the suckers circling the coops, swooping,etc. [​IMG] I have never seen so many like that in my life. [​IMG] Talk about chase the chickens into the coop game [​IMG] no chicken loss. [​IMG] But I was throwing rocks etc to scare them off til I could get everyone in . [​IMG]

2. AndersonFolk

AndersonFolk Out Of The Brooder

This scares me.... I think the migration pattern goes through the middle - upper side of GA; and that is where I live.

What part of East TN you in?

3. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    It may just be migrating hawks coming through - right time of year for it. Hopefully they will move on in a few days (depends on weather and winds). Good luck!

4. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:Maynardville 30 miles north of Knoxville

5. TennMan

TennMan New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    I live in Jonesborough and have seen lots of migrating birds recently hopefully they'll leave your chickens alone. Were excited about this venture and can't wait to get started.

6. AndersonFolk

AndersonFolk Out Of The Brooder

It is strange, we had a lot of smaller hawks move through back in the tail end of Sept. Haven't seen anything in a while, but keep a watchfull eye since the migration is not over it seems.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    There have been a lot passing through my area (N GA about 5 mi south of Chattanooga) and they seem to have found an attraction to the tall pines just behind my chicken pen. I have only lost one Lakenvelder hen so far but I don't allow them to free range anymore if I am not able to sit out in the field with them. The hawks move through every year around this time...they will move on in a few weeks and everything will return to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by