Hawk Is killing my button quail

dartfrog

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
How is it possible that a hawk can kill button quail through a 1/2"x1" wire? I came home today and noticed a hawk on my cage. As I drove up the drive in my car he flew away. I got out my car and went directly to the cage. I had 4 dead and 5 badly injured. The cage is 4 feet long, 2 feet deep and 2 feet high. I was shocked. It was late so I covered the cage with blankets and tacked them down till morning when I can deal with the situation. If I build another cage using 1/4" wire, will this be safe? Is there a way to deal directly with the hawk? Some way to rid of it? I do not have a gun. Thanks for any input you can give me. JB

try stringing up 'sparkly' things, ie: cut up pie pans, metallic streamers, old cd's/discs etc.

try not to post anything about killing, hurting or aggravating protected birds of prey. your thread will turn into the ''great birds of prey" debate.

it is illegal to hurt, aggravate or kill these birds. if you continue to have trouble call your local Ag Ex office or the DNR in your area.

hope something works for you and your quail.
smile.png

The hawk probably scared them, they spazzed, hit their heads on the top of the cage, and died from head injuries. Quail are high strung little guys, a leaf could send them into cardiac arrest. You could put a solid roof on their cage, that might help.

Quote:
This sounds like the BEST recommendation!!!!! Then the hawk can't scare them to death!!

Or maybe you can make the cage TALLER, so that they don't bump their heads when they fly around. OR BOTH!!

I am sorry for your loss!!
hit.gif

#1California Chick :

Quote:
This sounds like the BEST recommendation!!!!! Then the hawk can't scare them to death!!

Or maybe you can make the cage TALLER, so that they don't bump their heads when they fly around. OR BOTH!!

I am sorry for your loss!!
hit.gif

yes! good suggestions! i second the 'BOTH' !​

Thanks for all your suggestions. The birds did not die from hitting their heads. The birds were mauled. One had a hole half in. deep in its back. Others had severe wing damage where the hawk got their wings through the wire. I can show you pictures if you'd like. I cried all evening it was so disturbing. I will try the suggestion of shiny things and see if that works.
Also the cage does have a roof.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom