Hawk just took my daughter's chicken :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kees, Mar 31, 2009.

1. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I never thought that this would happen. My 6-year old daughter was planting flower bulbs in her first "garden". I was preparing soil to plant veggies. The chickens were happily in the yard, scratching around, eating grass and looking for little critters to eat.

All of a sudden, I heard a voice yelling, "Hello! Hello!". A man said that he had seen a hawk dive down and grab one of our chickens with it's talons. The man was so scared that he almost had a car accident.

My daughter started screaming hysterically, saying that she had also seen the hawk but thought it was a "regular bird". Then she saw the chicken feathers scattered on the ground.

I didn't know what to do. So I suggested that she collect the feathers, some chicken feed, grass, and a worm and bury everything in her "flower garden". We said a prayer and that seemed to calm things down a bit.

This was especially upsetting because the darn hawk took my daughter's favorite chicken. I know that no other bird can replace the one that was killed today. None of my chickens are broody right now, so I can't even try to hatch some eggs for my child. Is there anyone who might have an available duck, goose or turkey of any age to help alleviate her sadness? I would be more than willing to pay for any shipping fees.

Suzy

[​IMG]

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Where are you located?

Also, take precautions because the hawk might come back again for another chicken. Some people put a large plastic owl on the roof to scare hawks away.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I have ducks! are you close to me?

5. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    We're in the lower Hudson valley of New York. I didn't even think about the hawk coming back for another bird! I have to calm her down first. Thanks for making me aware of this.

Suzy

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am soooo very sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen to me as a child...even worse, it was an especially warm Christmas Eve so I had let all my chickens out because the snow had melted. It was the WORST Christmas ever. I understand how she feels completely. [​IMG]

After that terrible experience, I kept my birds locked up in their Fort Knox coop unless I could be right beside them every moment. The hawk will be back looking for another easy meal, unfortunately.

7. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    We're not close, but I can pay for shipping or whatever you would think is fair. I just want to help her to feel better if though we had a talk about how the hawk needed to eat before the "funeral".

Suzy

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    That is a tough lesson for a loving little girl. But pets do die. And maybe this is a chance for her to learn about the cycle of life -- one death feeds another's life.... maybe someone else on here has a better suggestion than I.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  9. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    Oh, no...I have to get some netting or something to protect the remaining birds. I didn't know that anything would hurt them because they were in the yard with us.

My daugher left most of her dinner on her plate, said that she wasn't hungry.

Suzy

10. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    Quote:i am in syracuse, i will be hatching blue/black swedish and cayuaga i got on the auction threads. it will be a little bit still but you are more than welcome to them when they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by