Hawk Killed my favorite chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickensahoy96, Nov 16, 2014.

1. chickensahoy96

chickensahoy96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012

That was a video a year ago, now she was big and beautiful with full feathers. A hawk today attacked her and broke her neck. This happened 3 times last year with no fatalities, just injured chickens. I was close to one time capturing the hawk but it flew off. What Happened was I let them all out today morning but I didnt want to change the frozen water so I just let them outside (out of pen and coop) and thats a big no no. Big Mike unfortunatly paid the ultimate toll for my mistake. She was my favorite chicken, ive had her for 4 years. If anyone here had this happen, what is the best way to overcome this? (I can fix the hawk issue) but should I go buy another chicken from an auctioneer the same breed? I really miss that chicken.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    That stinks!! Its always your favorites that die. Yesterday, 2 of my favorites were killed by a fox, and my favorite duck is recovering. It was very sad. This morning i found the fox strangled in my fence, dead. that really surprised me. But the nice thing is, no more dead chickens, and i get a really pretty fox pelt lol. Some put deer netting over the run, but i've heard that stringing fishing line above the yard will keep them away. [​IMG] Hope you don't lose any more. :)

3. chickensahoy96

chickensahoy96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Thanks, Thats so terrible what happened to your poor chickens :( I never lossed one in 4 years and If I would have made it one more day that would have been in another coop

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    thanks. Bummer!! one more day. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by