Hawk killed on of our silkies today :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Squid, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Squid

Squid New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    San Diego
    So today we suffered our second loss to a predator this year. A hawk killed our 6 month old golden silkie bantam. Of course, my favorite little golden chicken ever. :( So sad. We live near a canyon and have seen hawks circling the neighborhood for the last 3 years and never had an attack but it seems like this time of year a lot of people have the problem. Also we have always just had Rhode Island Reds and the silkies seem to be an easier prey (smaller in size, look fuzzy like a mammal, bright orange on green grass etc).
    So as of now I only have one hen, an adult RI Red. To be honest, I feel exhausted..this is our second death to a predator this year (first was a raccoon) and 3 young chickens that we adopted ended up being roosters (can't keep them here). My poor last hen just can't keep a flock and I can't take anymore deaths/roosters. :( But anyway, in the mean time I want to cover the area with a net, put cds on top, put fake owls etc but my question is should I keep her in the coop all day until then? Did we probably only have this attack because of the size difference? Of course I understand anything is possible, but I'm just curious what people's experience has been with hawk attacks on larger hens. I've read a lot of cases of pullets and bantams being attacked but do people have problems with their larger hens getting hawk attacks?
    Thanks for the advice. :( RIP Sammie.

2. GreatPyrLover

GreatPyrLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC
    My larger hens have been attacked plenty of times.....around here size doesn't really matter, they will swoop down and get whatever they can [​IMG] they will come back if they know there is food still around!!!

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Put a full sized adult rooster or two into mix and see if you get a change. I have as many hawks as anyone yet get very good control over hawks simply by having a mixed-sex flock with ample cover. Having hen-only flock free-range is simply asking for trouble.

4. GreatPyrLover

GreatPyrLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC
    I have a full sized Rooster, and plenty of places for them to hide, but every now and then I will have one get gone, the crows are what help keep our Hawks away!!

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    How confident your losses are caused by a hawk? What do the kill sights look like?

6. Kazfam

Kazfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2013
    So sorry about your losses...

We had a red-shouldered hawk sitting in the trees right above the coop...looking down menacingly...chickens having a fit. This hawk was equal to or slightly bigger than our girls. The chickens huddled behind the coop in a big ball of feathers. Their squawks brought my son out and he scared the hawk off with loud yelling. It hasn't returned...yet.

Hubby and son have since put a net way up high up and over the coop fence.
    Peace of mind.

7. bobby coward

bobby coward New Egg

i use shiney cds on a string threw my pens chickens do not mind the light off of the cds but all other birds stay away i tried it after red hawk took my young birds ever other morning and wild birds taking my feed it truly works bobby coward aka country boy

8. FrozenFeathers

FrozenFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Dryden, MI
    Hawks can be VERY bold. I've had them sweep down and take a bird not 10 feet from me. The only thing that was 100% effective was a flight net, but when I had a flock dog (yes, a dog that watched over my free rangers) I did not loose a bird to hawks.

9. Squid

Squid New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately I cannot own a rooster as it's against city regulation and my neighbors are super against it. I also can't get a dog. BUT I am going to try out the CD's, fake owl and some kind of netting and hope that that works.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Go strait to confinement of birds. The hawkp repellents do not appear effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by