Hawk! Or Not?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Godsgrl, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Yesterday, I let the chickens out to free range a bit. They do enjoy it so. The second the last hen left the pen, I heard a hawk scream.

Oh no! A hawk, and he's really close by! I immediately start scanning the trees to find this potential chicken thief. it didn't take me long to find him in the trees........

It was a STINKIN MOCKINGBIRD!!!!!

Yes, it was, too, cause the trees are bare, and I saw him up there, and heard him scream. One of these days.....[​IMG]

2. EastBayChickens

EastBayChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    [​IMG] Those mockingbirds can mimic anything!! They crack me up. We have them in our yard too.

Do you get Steller's Jays too? They do some good red tail hawk sounds.

3. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That's funny! Sorry that you had a moment of panic though! I would've too.

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    [​IMG] I love mockingbirds, unless they trick me.
    There is one around here that sounds like a flying phone.

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:I love mockers too, just not when they scare me so! We used to have guinea pigs, and we took them outside now and then to eat grass. Didn't take long for our mockers to start wheeping! LOL

As for the jays, yes, we sure do. My dad said they mimic hawks to scare other birds from food. Pretty clever!

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:LOL What a nut! I am waiting for them to start crowing. Oh boy that would be a sight! LOL:D

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I had one that imitated Slifer's crow...it was rather unnerving to her Awoooo!!! after she was gone.

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Its pretty funny to hear quacking and look up in a tree and see a mocking bird. One has staked out the remaining berries on my yaupon, and chases away any other birds, greedy guy.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Awwww....I'm sure that made you miss her even more.

10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I have two parrots. Last Spring the parrots started mocking the mockingbird, then the mockingbird started mocking the chickens. After awhile I couldn't tell who was who!LOL!
    I'm waiting for the parrots to get into a crowing war with the roosters! What's really bad is when the parrots do the fire alarm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by