Hawk Patrol! Abe Lincoln has solidified his place in our backyard!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Theapplechicks, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    So tonight I hear my Roo crowin' away and my big blue cochin freaking out and I thought it was just them making noise but decided to take the dogs out to potty and try to hush them up a bit. I walk out and immediatly see swooping hawk! I grabbed my 8lb dog and the other and threw them back in the house and ran for the chicken pen. We have a makeshift tarp roof over it right now and It was trying to find a way in. It kept swooping low across my yard back and forth so I took my kids plastic bat and chased it banging the bat really loud and it flew off. Had to go talk to the ladies and calm them down and now, Abe Lincoln, my LOUDMOUTH roo that is about 20wk. old is pacing the walls of the run on High alert w/ his chest puffed out and head held high watching every movement in the yard and listening to every sound!! Was so proud of him! Was debating getting rid of him w/ the other roos I have to rehome but I think he earned his place tonight. (for a while anyway) He reminds me of the guards outside the castles or a soldier guarding his camp!

Here's my Abe, taken earlier today.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Good boy! [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    this little guy deserves some extra treats

4. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    Look at him! So handsome and so very proud of himself He did a great job doing his job! You must be very happy with him! Extra treats tonight!

5. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes he was a good boy! and got some dried worms and ground hamburger and mini wheats that made him very happy! [​IMG]

6. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    [​IMG]

7. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    He is very handsome and doing his job nicely it would appear! My 19 week old roo goes to bed before the ladies, eats before the ladies. Not really sure about him!

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Keep him....Icannot tell you strongly enough the importance of a good rooster. Love him, treat him and keep him.

Way To Go Abe!

9. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    I plan to as long as I can. As long as he doesn't get terribly mean w/ the kids or annoy the neighbors too much. (we are in town so I am at their mercy!) He is so handsome! He looks like he is wet all the time but he isn't he's just that shiny! We named him Abe Lincoln because my daughter said he looks like a new copper penny. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by