1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk Problem - No More!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Atlchick, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Atlchick

Atlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    Our white silkie hen was hit on two consecutive days by a hawk last year, while the chickens were in an outside pen. We were close enough to save her both times, but had to find a solution quickly. We remembered that my DH had picked up some old batting-cage nets that a local high school was throwing away. These things are huge, about 12' x 70'. We draped 3 side-by-side over our outdoor pens and held them up with thin wooden posts, high enough to walk under. It solved our hawk problem completely. I'm sure it keeps other varmints from getting in, and keeps our chickens from getting out. Best of all, it was Free! Might be something to look into . . . [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks so much. I am calling the local schools today. [​IMG]

3. Atlchick

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    Oh yeaah! And I put three young peafowl in DH's existing batting cage. It's the best run ever! I wonder what he's gonna do for a batting cage, come March? [​IMG]

4. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    You can also dangle CDs from the netting and the reflection off them scares other predators away too!!!! Thats what we did I live in Monroe GA!! So Hello!!!

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Hi! GAChknGirl, I'm half way from Monroe to Loganville south of Between...

6. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Im off off Youth Jersey rd. Stewart Rd. is where i live!!

7. Atlchick

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    I'm just outside of Loganville - in beautiful downtown Grayson. We now have more traffic lites than citizens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by