1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk Protection - Question 3

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Awestruck, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Awestruck

Awestruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    If a person is near the chicks, will the hawk still come down and attack or take the chickens? Do hawks have some fear of human beings?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes Hawks fear humans but if the hawk does not see the human till the last second-----the human can get hit in the head by a diving hawk---ask me how I know---LOL. I stepped out from under the tree's at the same time the Hawk dived after something----but normanally a Hawk will stay a distance away from a human.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    We were pheasant hunting once, and one of our hunting party had a hawk swoop down right over the top of his head to grab a pheasant that was in the grass right in front of him. The only way you're going to totally protect your chickens from hawks is to have them in a fully enclosed, covered run. When you free range, there is always a chance that your chickens will be killed by something or other. Be it a hawk, fox, stray dog, or any other predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by