Hawk ripped the head off my rooster today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mriker03, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mriker03

Mriker03 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Indiana
    Hawk ripped the head off my rooster today while my children were outside :( they started screaming and he flew away . Poor roo was just looking out for his girls. This is our second loss from a hawk this winter so sad

2. kayjan

kayjan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Southeast Louisana
    So sorry for your loss. How awful your children had to witness the attack. I hope they will be ok. [​IMG]

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Poor kids. Hope something gets that hawk.

4. belle99

belle99 New Egg

Feb 3, 2012
    Similar situation here on Monday! My kids went to put our girls back in their pen only to walk out to find a hawk in the coop run eating our cochin fizzle bantam. I don't know if I will ever forget the sound of my kids screams and tears. I hope your children recover and I am sorry for your loss.

5. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    The sad thing is I when you call the federal gov't to see what you can do to protect your flock they say nothing. There are so many hawks from them being protected. I have three that just sit outside my chickens pen everyday waiting for me to let them out. I fire shots off to scare them away everyday, but it really docent phase them. I'm sorry for your loss.

6. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oh, my goodness, freaking, gracious...... I can't imagine how horrible the screams from your kids were. I am so sorry for the trauma you're children went through.[​IMG] [​IMG]

And I am terribly sorry for your loss. I can't quite imagine the horror. [​IMG] Hope I never have to, honestly.

I hope your children recover, and your remaining chickens live long happy lives.

7. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    To FarmingFor Fun;

I am not implying that you do anything in this situation.

All I'm saying is, the government is not in your backyard.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I didn't know hawks were protected. Is it just some species of hawks or all hawks?

I would think that you could still shoot a hawk if you caught the hawk in the act of eating your chicken.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you cant harm any type of bird of pray

sorry for your loss...i dont think my kids would be that phased by it though

10. HIS Paintbrush

HIS Paintbrush Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    fddf
    I would pull the hawks head off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by