Hawk Roosting above Coop

pine_lore

Chirping
May 18, 2021
Orange County, NY
For over a month (it's winter here) I've had a hawk roost in a cedar tree right above the coop/pen/run area. It hasn't been an issue because the flock is wintering in their predator proof pen. My chickens don't even know the hawk is there due to tarps on the pen to stop wind! However, I am curious if there's anything I can do about this situation because once I have foliage back and the weather is warmer, I'd like to let them into their run again (which is not hawk proof).

Will the hawk roost here into the Spring and Summer? Will it move on? Will it start hunting in this area as the weather warms up? (I never see it during the day...it just comes at twilight and is gone around dawn).

It's an interesting behavior so I'm wondering if anyone knows a lot about hawks and may have some insight.

Thanks!

This is what I'd do.
royalty-free-caveman-clipart-illustration-1285610tn.jpg

For over a month (it's winter here) I've had a hawk roost in a cedar tree right above the coop/pen/run area. It hasn't been an issue because the flock is wintering in their predator proof pen. My chickens don't even know the hawk is there due to tarps on the pen to stop wind! However, I am curious if there's anything I can do about this situation because once I have foliage back and the weather is warmer, I'd like to let them into their run again (which is not hawk proof).

Will the hawk roost here into the Spring and Summer? Will it move on? Will it start hunting in this area as the weather warms up? (I never see it during the day...it just comes at twilight and is gone around dawn).

It's an interesting behavior so I'm wondering if anyone knows a lot about hawks and may have some insight.

Thanks!
Hawks have a wide hunting range and will hunt where the prey is most abundant most likely. We have hawks living around our house. Usually they leave our birds alone and go after the smaller animals. There were only two instances last summer where a hawk took or tried to take a bird. My suggestion, if you don't have a rooster, get one. A good rooster will warn the hens to hide as soon as he sees any predators, air or land. We have a pair of two roos in our main flock that are on the look out. But honestly, we have to worry about our land predators more then the air predators. For us, the air preds are a love-distrust kinda relationship. Sure, they may try and go for our birds once in a blue moon, but they do great in controlling the rat and mouse population to.

Thanks!
We have also had larger hawks hang around for a week or two before moving on. There's one that visits every summer. I love seeing that beautiful bird.

I have had issues with hawks. My opinion is that they will return especially since they know there are birds there. We have hawks here and there have been times when I have seen them daily then they move on for awhile when they realize they aren't going to get my birds but now and then I see them or hear them. My pens are all covered with good heavy duty netting. I don't free range anymore due to losses from both hawks and ground predators. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and concrete under the gates all due to losses from predators in the past. For several years I didn't have any issues then my birds were discovered. Most everything likes chickens. Lessons learned the hard way. Good luck...

Hawks have a wide hunting range and will hunt where the prey is most abundant most likely. We have hawks living around our house. Usually they leave our birds alone and go after the smaller animals. There were only two instances last summer where a hawk took or tried to take a bird. My suggestion, if you don't have a rooster, get one. A good rooster will warn the hens to hide as soon as he sees any predators, air or land. We have a pair of two roos in our main flock that are on the look out. But honestly, we have to worry about our land predators more then the air predators. For us, the air preds are a love-distrust kinda relationship. Sure, they may try and go for our birds once in a blue moon, but they do great in controlling the rat and mouse population to.
I've got a big buff orpington rooster so he's definitely helpful here!

Back
Top Bottom