1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk sitting on the the coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by anythingbutsandy, Oct 30, 2010.

1. anythingbutsandy

anythingbutsandy Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Kyle, Texas
    I looked out the window this morning and saw a beautiful hawk sitting on the chicken coop. I was admiring its beauty when I realized it was checking out a way to get my girls. [​IMG] Thankfully they're in a fully covered & enclosed run with an attached coop. I usually let them free range in the afternoons for a couple of hours. I guess I'll no longer be letting them do that unsupervised. [​IMG] I've read lots of suggestions here on dealing with them and I will be stocking up on bottle rockets as soon as they open up the firecracker stands.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sheesh if I saw that, I'd freak out. My girls are free ranged on 3 acres of uncovered pasture, and so far for a year now, no troubles. . . And the worst part is, we're not allowed to "harass" birds of prey.

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    What a cheeky bugger!

4. anythingbutsandy

anythingbutsandy Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Kyle, Texas
    I haven't seen him since I posted. I'm hoping he's found a new home. I'm still letting the girls out to free-range in the afternoons, but I stay out with them doing chores and whatnot, which probably is not keeping the hawk away but at least makes me feel as if I'm protecting them somewhat.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Get a phony owl and stick it in there. Works for us. Doesn't keep the ravens away but the red tails and chicken hawks are all but gone.

6. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    I've had hawks sitting on my coop watching my chickens standing in the open just watching them back. They could have taken one any time they wanted to. Instead one grabbed a squirrel that hangs out stealing scraps that I give my chickens. The have been arround all summer.
    I guess they're not hungry enough to take a chicken yet and I mean yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by