1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk times

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jrskol2000, Feb 15, 2011.

1. jrskol2000

jrskol2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I have been seeing a hawk in my yard for months now. It always seems to be at morning time. Do coopers hawks like to hunt at certain times? Should I let my girls free range in the evening? Do you think the hawk will catch on to a scheduled free range time? I have checked the threads and haven't read anything about what time of the day hawk attacks were occurring. Any help appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. JFW

JFW Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Anytime you have daylight a hawk will hunt.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Funnily enough I was talking to one of my neighbours here in France and he told me that they tend to be most active in the mornings, at noon (mid-day) and in the evenings just before dusk - they are usually most predatory at noon.... that is Hawks or Buzzards!

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I think hawks are active whenever chickens are active.

5. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I have had problems with both Cooper Hawks and Red Tailed Hawks. I noticed that they do hunt all day. My hens are also free range and I have unfortunately lost a few over the years. Make sure they have a place to run and hide if they see the hawk. I also have areas of my farm that have fishing line strung back and forth high over head. Nothing really seems to deter them but I don't want to make it easy for them either.

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They will start before dawn and continue until they've had enough to eat. I've found that if they get enough to eat in the morning, they may rest until just about dusk.

ETA: That doesn't mean that you can let your guard down in the middle of the day, though.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  7. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Our neighborhood hawk is active ALL day: morning, noon, afternoon, dusk. He gets an A for perserverance but an F for success! No free chicken dinners here.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Need a picture. If bird is predictable, then most likely a Buteo sp. like a red-tailed or red-shouldered. The Buteo spp. target prey like small rodents that are very predicable in terms of location and that are not generally able to see hawk until it is almost on top of them. Coopers and other bird targeting hawks make a point to be unpredictable since prey they target are evasive and see very well.

9. jrskol2000

jrskol2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I will let my ladies free range for small amounts of time. I love my ladies but must admit that the hawk is a beautiful bird also. I have been trying to obtain as much info as possible to position my birds for success. I wish I could get the hawk to eat the cats in the neighborhood.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  10. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I have a red tail that circles my yard around noon everyday. I'm sure he saw the girls out one day and is looking for them. I've been keeping them in til later in the day.
    I also have a sharpie that zips by between 11-1 and a marsh hawk early in the day.
    I've not seen any hawks in my area later in the day.
    My hens are hating having to wait to get out but they are still alive so far. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by