1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk took a bird now they won't

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lazyday, Dec 25, 2011.

1. lazyday

lazyday Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Hawk took a hen 2 weeks ago, and now my hens are spending their life under my porch. They run out briefly to grab a few pecks of food but run back under the dark porch. They are free rangers and I really do not have the finances to build a pen for them at this time. Any suggestion how to get their courage back up to enjoy being out in the open? I have tried treats, but nothing doing ,they just look at me like I am crazy.

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    hens are smart... why would you want to coax them out? [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Their scared I would be too if I saw my sister get killed. I had a big hawk scare my flock didn't get one but they didn't want to go out the next day. Their very cautious now. I hate winter there's no leaves on the trees & the hawks are bad this winter atleast here anyway.

4. lazyday

Dec 25, 2011
    Quote:Because, it has been 2 weeks and they are living under a dark porch. I do understand and I would be afraid as well but my concern is I am not sure this is a healthy life to stay in the dark all the time [​IMG] I guess I am not wording my thoughts very well

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. NYChicks345

NYChicks345 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Danube, NY
    I had a bad hawk attack earlier in the fall... Lost 7 chickens.... Took a long time for my Girls and guys to be comfortable outside of the coop again...what I eventually did was build little shelters all around the yard for them... Very simple... Just enough for them to hide under. I used cement blocks stood up on end with 2x4's layed across them and then put plywood on top of that... I have them set up in various places around the yard. I had the supplies laying around so it didn't cost me anything but you could do this with anything u have laying around. My chickens r much wiser since the hawk attack and they have taught the young pullets to be weary of flying predators as well. It will take a while but your chickens will eventually range again but they will always be alert to anything that flys now that they have been attacked. Hope this helps.

6. mothernaturesdaughter

mothernaturesdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Williamsport
    sounds to me hawk may still be around if they are still hiding. Maybe you can put a radio outside for a while to deter it. Maybe you could make an a frame and cover it with a tarp or a dog coop for now something where you can put food water so they can eat and sleep.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I will post some pics of my hoop run made with cattle panels. You could do the same only smaller and lower with any stiff fencing you can find. You don't need lumber just cut the bottom of the panels to fit into some cement blocks.

You could also set up some posts and use some bird netting to protect them. My girls get scared but when I come out into the yard they relax and come out.

You could also make a few scarecrows on posts that you can move around the yard so no preds get used to their positions.

You could use some T- posts like clothes lines to string some lines and prevent hawks from landing.

You could run some "grapevine" lines also. Make sure there is not area wide enough for a hawk to spread it's wings to land.

You can also plant tall ornamental grasses around the yard.

You can also plant some low growing trees, like crab apples where chickens can congregate underneath. I scored some nice Gooseberry, red current and raspberry plants for $2 each at the Country max store. Plant these and let the chickens have the fruit.

Hope some of these ideas help,

Rancher

[​IMG]

8. lazyday

Dec 25, 2011
    M&JPloss :

I had a bad hawk attack earlier in the fall... Lost 7 chickens.... Took a long time for my Girls and guys to be comfortable outside of the coop again...what I eventually did was build little shelters all around the yard for them... Very simple... Just enough for them to hide under. I used cement blocks stood up on end with 2x4's layed across them and then put plywood on top of that... I have them set up in various places around the yard. I had the supplies laying around so it didn't cost me anything but you could do this with anything u have laying around. My chickens r much wiser since the hawk attack and they have taught the young pullets to be weary of flying predators as well. It will take a while but your chickens will eventually range again but they will always be alert to anything that flys now that they have been attacked. Hope this helps.

Good suggestion and thank you. I will do this.
    rancher, I will plan on building or maybe use a dog kennel when I have x-tra money. Being this time of year budget very tight. Thank you for sharing your design with me.

Yes the hawk is still around I am sure [​IMG] [​IMG] but there is nothing I can do about this unless some-one else knows of any answers or solutions.

Thank you every-one​

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Call out your hens with treats and stay WITH them for a bit. I used to do that with my hens.Herd them around the yard with a stick.The stick was to guide them,and also to ward off the hawk.

I find it VERY hard to make out the hawk in the trees-with our without leaves. The roo can see ans hear him long before me. I listen to the big man even if I can't find the hawk.

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I agree a good roo definately helps. My problem is I had to cull mine he was getting cocky & trying to attack me & others here at 7L. He now resides in my Kenmore. I tried to keep him but I can't afford to have someone or even me being attacked. The guy was big with two inch spurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by