Hawk took two babies.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hessk, May 15, 2019 at 5:44 PM.

1. Hessk

Hessk Chirping

Oct 6, 2018
    I just had a hawk take two 1month olds that free range with their mom. I won’t be letting the babies out anymore (will probably just sell them since the hawk took the only two females from me). Is there a certain amount of time I should keep my grown hens inside before letting them out again? Is a hawk the type of animal with keeps returning for more? I’m so hurt.

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry! :hugs That's just terrible. :(
    Unfortunately, the hawk will return for a while looking for more easy meals. I think it would be best if you kept the flock locked in their run for a couple of weeks.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your loss, and sadly once they find a food source they continue checking. Is there a cover on your pen ?

anderstr196 and DobieLover like this.
  4. Hessk

Hessk Chirping

Oct 6, 2018
    There is a cover on my pen but the pen is no where near big enough for them to roam and get their proper exercise. I’ll be so heartbroken to take away their 3/4 acre. I was going to put the babies away before I started dinner, I’m so mad at myself!

anderstr196 and DobieLover like this.
  5. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Due to predator issues here my flock is in a 15x15 run with a heavy duty net. They are happy and healthy. They have branches to climb on, a swing, a sandbox for dust bathing and they get plenty of exercise.

What size is the pen? Can you expand it?

Hessk likes this.
  6. Hessk

Hessk Chirping

Oct 6, 2018
    It’s 10x5. I only have 4 hens in there. I will be expanding if I decide to keep them in full time. I just love how happy they are out foraging and chasing bugs.

7. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    How far do they actually go from the coop? From what I have saw they stay relatively close no matter how much land there is. Make it feel open but secure.

8. Roostie

Roostie In the Brooder

May 1, 2019
    I'm so sorry for your loss:hugs
    I have problems with hawks too.
    Do you already have a rooster?? If not you should keep one of the little guys and raise it! Roosters tend to look for hawks and generally be more aware than hens! I loved my rooster they are very sweet if handled often when they are little

Hessk likes this.
  9. Henry&Friends

Henry&Friends Chirping

May 6, 2018
    Don’t beat yourself up over it, these things happen. Think of it like this- now you know, and you can fix the problem before it gets out of hand.

poisondartfrog and Hessk like this.
  10. Hessk

Hessk Chirping

Oct 6, 2018
    They take over the entire property. There are lots of shrubs and trees that they run under whenever they detect a bird. The hens have never had a problem before but the little baby was just too easy I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: