Hawk - turkeys & guinneas

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hixnstix, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hixnstix

Hixnstix Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    N E, PA
    Would someone explain to me how or why turkeys & Guinneas are predators to hawks. Read this and never heard of this??? Please help me understand this or direct me to where I can find info. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. Hixnstix

May 10, 2008
    N E, PA
    anybody????

3. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    never heard of it - sounds like misinformation?

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not predators, they don't hunt hawks, they just not afraid to fight them on the ground. A predator is cautious about getting hurt because if they can't hunt they can become the prey to others or they may starve.

If you take away a hawks element of suprise and their impact from a flying hit or grab and set them on the ground, a adult turkey or flock of guinea hens is their better and will whoop their feathered butt!

Owls are a different story as the hunt mainly at dark when your roosting bird is helpless. They just walk up and kill them.

5. Hixnstix

May 10, 2008
    N E, PA
    Interesting. Thanks!

Is it worth it for hawk protection to have some turkeys running with the hens. Our chicken pen is about 60 x 140 with trees, the hawk has been having a daily buffet.[​IMG]
    Any suggestions......... Everbodys locked in the hen house but hate to do that to them. They love scratching an strutting around their yard.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by