Hawk

janmarie123

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2016
hi i am new here and i have seen a few hawks in the woods behind me and i am scared for my chickens does anybody have any suggestions on scaring them off

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, janmarie, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! Hawks can be a persistence nuisance - that's for sure. Not sure if you are a city or country dweller but if you are rural like I am, I have had some success - at least in the short term - by aiming a well-placed shotgun blast near (not at) the marauder. Seems to scare them off. For the day certainly - maybe for longer. It's hard to say - there as so many raptors in my area. I have lost one bird to an avian predator in the last ten years - I free range and my run is uncovered - so...not bad in terms of loss. You might post in the Predators Forum here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests and see what those folks have to say. Best wishes!!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. The best you can do is provide a covered pen and monitored free ranging. Given enough cover and bushes to hide in most birds become hawk savvy. The bottom line is that if you free range you will eventually suffer losses.

I use bird netting/garden netting atop my run. I live right next to woods (state park) and have yet (in 4 years) to lose a chicken to a hawk, even when they free range. Although, one of my neighbors had a yorkie that got eaten by an owl.... Everywhere is different. Although there's a female Merlin Hawk who migrates through and perches 2 feet away from my chickens, goes after the snakes and mice that they kick up. My birds don't mind her one bit.
Best of luck!

G’Day from down under janmarie123
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and tips, I will just add that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC. It might be a good idea to try and identify which species of raptors you have. In my experience, chickens learn not to worry too much about those raptors that are not a threat (in our case, Black Kites), but will go on full alert when they see one that is a threat. As mentioned, if you free range losses are inevitable - its a price that i am willing to pay - others not.

Good luck
CT

agree with Sourland. They are protected by law. Much better to fence them out (covered runs) than attempt to harm or kill them.

welcome-byc.gif

It's nice to have you here. You've already received some good tips so I'll just say hello!

Back
Top Bottom