Hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SilkiesRcool, Feb 3, 2017.

1. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    I have a hawk that keeps coming back everyday and just sitting in the tree near my coop/run. I had two questions 1. Can a hawk get in my run through chicken wire (whole run is covered). 2. Any way to make it go away I live to close to other houses to shoot it without getting in trouble or else I would.

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    It shouldn't be able to get in through chicken wire.
    Call animal control in your locale and see if they can give you any suggestions.

3. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you but they don't help with anything around here lol but them not getting through is reassuring

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I would chase it with a long stick every time I saw it. Crows and mockingbirds harass hawks and are effective at getting them to stay out of the area (so their nestlings are safe). The same principle should work for you to protect your "children". Plus, it is a perfectly safe and natural thing to do, you are in no way harming the hawk, just adjusting it's behavior to find a safer perch.

5. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    We made a scarecrow last spring because there were a few hawks hanging around. Her name is Mrs. Pogo, her broomstick armsare attached so that the broomstick will move, and she wears a flowy skirt that blows in the wind. She is moved often and has an assortment of hats and other accessories (a bucket, a basket, a scarf, etc). My bird run is not enclosed, but we haven't lost a chicken yet. Thanks, Mrs. Pogo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by