1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Squirrelgirl88, May 15, 2011.

1. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I'm down a life. I just had a Cooper's Hawk grab one of my hens in the yard. Luckilly she seemed to be too heavy for the hawk. She squaked, it let go and flew to a near by tree. I ran to her and the hawk flew off. She's not even hurt, just a few ruffled feathers. I am not ok. Breathing hard, watching the sky. I'll have nightmares about that one. Has anyone tried one of those plastic owl or hawk statues to deter attacks? I'm just wondering if they would work.

2. tadyergey

tadyergey Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Nokesville, VA
    My Coop
    I have hawks, bald eagles and owls here and am wondering the same thing. None of the local TSCs or SSs have aviary netting. Any idea where to try to find some so I can close off the top of the run?

3. Squirrelgirl88

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I've seen it a our TSC, but you might try a Garden store or Home Improvement Store. People put it over their berry bushes and fruit trees to protect them from birds.

4. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:Watch out for Ravens too!!! [​IMG] I had one try to swoop down and snag my baby araucana while I was standing within 10 feet of it!!! Hawks are brutal. I've lost alot to the hawks and they seem to target my young ones and banties.

I use aviary netting on one and chicken wire over another. I hate the way the aviary netting sags after awhile so be prepared to snug it up every once in awhile [​IMG]

5. Squirrelgirl88

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    This hawk targeted a full size hen!

6. tadyergey

tadyergey Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Nokesville, VA
    My Coop
    Did you use deer netting? I was looking for something a bit more substantial

7. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried this: How about stringing some rope, strips of cloth or even the curly type balloon ribbon across the uncovered run top, making a loose cris- cross pattern. Wouldn't a hawk hesitate to try swooping down on a chicken with something "covering " the cage top that he could get caught in? When I get the "permanent" run done I will have chicken netting for the top, but I think I may try this method for the little enclosure I put my chicks in now, as non-adults, for short periods of time, observed. I think it might also prevent the chicks from trying to fly out of the cage, for the same reason. Does anyone have any experience with this?

8. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:I've seen them whip through tree branches in pursuit of birds, so I think if they can see a way through a loose weave of rope, it, they'll go for it.

9. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can't find netting locally, here is a place I ordered netting for overy my turkey pen http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=h&idCategory=21

If hawks are the only threat you have, deer netting might be enough to keep them out. It isn't strong enough for something like a raccoon, but if a hawk tried to dive through it the hawk would be in trouble - I've been snarled up in the stuff myself and wasn't too happy about it.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Yep, that's kind of the way I have it. The netting isn't strong at all, but it's draped so that it's baggy and everything that has tried to get past it just gets tangled in it. This is a temporary run with that same flimsy netting on it, draped loosely:

[​IMG]

No dinner that day! Came back for a few days before finally giving up. Luckily I don't have foxes, coyotes, or feral dogs around and none are out after dark for the possums and coons to dine on.

Last edited: May 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by